Help: Math Homework and I’m stuck! Explanation below. (Solve 2y- 3(2y- 3) = 2y - 5(3y - 4))

yoyleberriex

Directions are to solve each equation (solve for x or whatever variable it may be.) The particular problem I was having trouble on is
2y- 3(2y- 3) = 2y - 5(3y - 4)
I simplify it down to y = 1.33 (repeating) but once I check work my answer is incorrect and I can’t figure out where I went wrong. Please help!

Directions are to solve each equation (solve for x or whatever variable it may be.) The particular problem I was having trouble on is
2y- 3(2y- 3) = 2y - 5(3y - 4)
I simplify it down to y = 1.33 (repeating) but once I check work my answer is incorrect and I can’t figure out where I went wrong. Please help!

Did you try checking if your solution is correct? The left-hand side evaluates as:

[imath]\qquad 2\left(\frac{4}{3}\right) - 3\left(2\left(\frac{4}{3}\right) - 3\right)[/imath]

[imath]\qquad \frac{8}{3} - 3\left(\frac{8}{3} - \frac{9}{3}\right)[/imath]

[imath]\qquad \frac{8}{3} - 3\left(-\frac{1}{3}\right)[/imath]

[imath]\qquad \frac{8}{3} + \frac{3}{3}[/imath]

[imath]\qquad \frac{11}{3}[/imath]

The right-hand side evaluates as:

[imath]\qquad 2\left(\frac{4}{3}\right) - 5\left(3\left(\frac{4}{3}\right) - 4\right)[/imath]

[imath]\qquad \frac{8}{3} - 5(4 - 4)[/imath]

[imath]\qquad \frac{8}{3} - 5(0)[/imath]

[imath]\qquad \frac{8}{3}[/imath]

Since the two sides do not evaluate to the same number, then [imath]y = \frac{4}{3}[/imath] cannot be a solution to the equation.

Unfortunately, since we cannot see your work, there is no way for us to help you find your error. Kindly please reply with that information.