Help me calculate

Ashpa

Customer is paying a flat 6k of a 12k balance.
we charge 1.5% credit card fee.

How much is he paying of the balance and how much do i add in for cc fee to reach a flat $6,000?

What have you tried? Where are you stuck? This is a help forum so please state what type of help you need. You might benefit by reading the posting guidelines that you were asked to read before posting.

Customer is paying a flat 6k of a 12k balance.
we charge 1.5% credit card fee.

How much is he paying of the balance and how much do i add in for cc fee to reach a flat $6,000?
Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem

To explain more clearly.

I need to reach a flat $6,000 of invoices to apply a payment that was made.

If i apply it to $5900 of invoices and add 1.5% credit card fee i reach 5988.50.

I need that sweet number which if i add 1.5 % too will hit 6,000 flat.

Thank you for your help!

If someone pays a $1000 invoice with cc we add $15.
But here i need to work backwards.
i need to know how much of the invoices i can charge to reach $6,000 after adding in the 1.5% fee.

Got it?

To explain more clearly.

I need to reach a flat $6,000 of invoices to apply a payment that was made.

If i apply it to $5900 of invoices and add 1.5% credit card fee i reach 5988.50.

I need that sweet number which if i add 1.5 % too will hit 6,000 flat.

Thank you for your help!
You're seeking an x value plus 1.5%*x will give you 6,000.
Solve the following equation for x.

\(\displaystyle x+1.5\%x=6000\).

Thank you. I guess you explained it well.

Can anyone help?
I did help by setting up an equation for you. Have you tried solving it? If not, why don't you give it a shot? I'm sure you'll run into the same problem again. Why not learn how to do it?

Because i need the answer now quickly. Before my boss comes over.
In the future i can learn this and teach you something you do not know.

Thank you for understanding.

In this forum, we do NOT provide "complete" answer - we answer specific questions, correct mistakes and guide YOU to correct answer.

Hint: 1.5% = 1.5/100 = 0.015
ex: 3x+2x = (3+2)x=5x
ex: 7x=9, then x=9/7

Dear Ashpa,

This is a very simple Arithmetic problem that my fifteen year-old pupils could all carry out in a matter of moments! ?

If you can’t work it out yourself then, instead of seeking help from us to conceal that fact from your boss, you should be telling your boss that you need extra training to carry out your role in the company! (Or go find a different job where you do have the skills to carry out the duties competently!) ?

However, in this instance, I will teach you the way to do these calculations, principally because of the promise you made (as I am much intrigued by that promise).

When you wish to add a percentage increase to a sum of money you simply multiply the sum by a number you get using the following simple, two-step procedure:-

1.  Take the percentage figure and divide it by 100. (eg: 10% becomes 10 ÷ 100 = 0.10)
2.  Now ADD 1 to your answer. (eg: starting with 10% you end up with 1.10)

NB: If you wish to add 110% then you get 2.10, so this method works for any percentage figure!

Now that you have this “Magic” number, you can easily add 10% to any sum or find out what the sum was (initially) if 10% has previously been added to it!

Let’s now take your particular situation.

You add 1.5% to your customers’ payments as a surcharge for paying by credit card (an outrageous practice that I believe has now been outlawed in my home country!)

Following the procedure I gave you above:-

1.  1.5 ÷ 100 = 0.015
2.  0.015 + 1 = 1.015

So, 1.015 is your “Magic” number (that you can use in all your future calculations)

Let’s take the example you, yourself, provided:

A customer wishes to pay off a $1,000 invoice.
You (disgracefully!) wish to charge them $1,000 plus 1.5% for the privilege of paying your bill!

$1,000 × 1.015 = $1,015 (ie: you charge them an extra $15 just for giving you money!)
But you want to know how much to reduce this particular customer’s outstanding balance by when they pay you a total of $6,000 because you want that $6,000 to include your ("criminal") credit card surcharge.
Using your, newly established, “Magic” number (1.015), you simply divide the $6,000 by that number and you get:-

$6,000 ÷ 1.015 = $5,911.33 (to the nearest cent)
So you can now reduce your customer’s outstanding balance from $12,000 to $6,088.67 (and ‘pocket’ the $88.67 that you have ‘stolen’ from them!)

So, there you have it:-
To calculate what you will (over)charge any customer to pay off a particular sum, you multiply that sum by 1.015
and
To calculate how much to credit a customer’s account by, if they pay you a particular sum by credit card, you divide that sum by 1.015.

Simples! ?

OK, so now that I have taught you how to do the job you’re being paid for, what is this thing that you are going to “
teachus (that we “do not know”); I’m really curious to find out what someone who can’t do simple arithmetic knows that we are all totally ignorant of! ?