Help this woodworker with a compound angle problem

Sokolq55

Probably easiest to reference the photos.

I have two boards that are coming down at a 48 degree angle on each side of a square post. I need them to meet nice and flush in the middle. The two compound angles I need are marked by the question marks - 3rd picture. Thank you in advance! 3B300E6F-DF02-47FE-8CEE-3554F450F761.jpeg155C3FB0-49FD-44F4-AEBF-AAC2F9089451.jpeg2D0B76D2-CE34-4107-97D7-529266CD8661.jpegC63E5CC0-4B1F-455C-8129-C137FD46CD6A.jpeg

ps- as seen in last pic, I sort of got it just by trial and error cuts over and over, but it’s still not perfect and that’s why I’m wondering if someone could show me the math to actually figure it out precisely.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am having a lot of trouble interpreting the problem. It looks as though the boards are not parallel to the floor. Are you saying that if you extended a line at a right angle from the board to the floor, that line would make a 48 degree angle with the floor. Furthermore, both boards extend past the square post so you need to cut the boards so that they are flush with each other and the post.

I am having a lot of trouble interpreting the problem. It looks as though the boards are not parallel to the floor. Are you saying that if you extended a line at a right angle from the board to the floor, that line would make a 48 degree angle with the floor. Furthermore, both boards extend past the square post so you need to cut the boards so that they are flush with each other and the post.

- You’re exactly right - I need to cut them and that’s what I’m trying to solve. What two angles to cut the boards on my miter saw (left and right cuts being mirror images of each other) so they are flush like seen in the last picture (which I arrived at by trial and error). I just want to get the exact solution.

The horizontal boards are parallel with floor. They are angled at 48 degrees with respect to the post vertical just as I labeled in picture.