Help with translation of quadratic graphs

jonnburton

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum. I've been trying to brush up on my maths after not having touched the subject for many years.

I came across one difficulty in the book I'm using today, and that concerns translations of graphs.

I understand the general idea behind translations, but was stumped when I came to the following question:

Describe geometrically the transformation that maps the graph of y = x^2 onto the graph of y = x^2 - 4x + 1

(if the second equation had been y = x^2 - 4 + 1, I think I'd be right in saying the translation would be [4 1] (sorry, I'm not sure how to do things like this in latex)).

The answer in the book says the translation in this case is [2 -3] but I simply can't see how this works...

If anyone can tell me how this works, I'd be very grateful.

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum. I've been trying to brush up on my maths after not having touched the subject for many years.

I came across one difficulty in the book I'm using today, and that concerns translations of graphs.

I understand the general idea behind translations, but was stumped when I came to the following question:

Describe geometrically the transformation that maps the graph of y = x^2 onto the graph of y = x^2 - 4x + 1

(if the second equation had been y = x^2 - 4 + 1, I think I'd be right in saying the translation would be [4 1] (sorry, I'm not sure how to do things like this in latex)).

The answer in the book says the translation in this case is [2 -3] but I simply can't see how this works...

If anyone can tell me how this works, I'd be very grateful.

Use the technique of completing square:

y = x2 - 4x + 1 →

y = x2 - 4x + 4 - 4 + 1 →

y = (x - 2)2 - 3

Do you see the transformation now...

Many thanks, Subhotosh! Yes, I see the translation now...

I never thought to do that; this is my difficult with maths at the moment: fitting all the pieces together and knowing the appropriate use of each technique. Hopefully it'll come with practice.

Cheers!