Help.

Well, let's see... Did you draw a picture? That might help.

One thing that might be useful prior to drawing a picture is getting an upper bound.

1 scone covers how much area? (4*1.2)^2 * pi cm^2 = 72.4 cm^2
How much area in the whole pan? 40 cm * 35 cm = 1,400 cm^2
Simply, then, there is no way you will get more than 1,400 / 72.4 = 19

Good luck. Start drawing pictures.

No, but someone can help you figure out how to solve your problem. Where are you stuck? Can you show us the work you have done so far?

What is the largest the diameter of each scone can be?

If I were Jane, I would make a paper model of the tray to scale, and circles to scale representing the scones (after enlarging during baking), and just try to fit as many as possible of them onto the tray. I would not try to use algebra at all, because that can't easily take into account the need to arrange them to fit. At best, this would be a geometry problem; but then, taking into account all the ways there are to arrange circles, I wouldn't want to bother.

Maybe the intent is to assume they are arranged in a simple rectangular array; then, you need even less than algebra: How many scones will fit in each direction? That may not give the absolute maximum, but it would at least tell you how many can fit in this particular arrangement. (It is significantly less than the 19 you could get by mashing them together.)

@khio, we're waiting to find out what you have been learning, and what ideas you have, so we can see if you need more ideas than this.

...and significantly more than zero (0). We have it bracketed!

I’m not sure how I’m meant to draw a picture of it but so far I’ve done this;

40cm x 35cm = 1400cm
8cm x 20% ÷ 100 = 1.6cm
8cm + 1.6cm = 9.6cm

I just don’t understand what I am supposed to do next..

40cm x 35cm = 1400cm
8cm x 20% ÷ 100 = 1.6cm
8cm + 1.6cm = 9.6cm

Review response #6 - and follow the advice!!

Okay, so the final diameter of each scone is 9.6 cm; you could also find that by just multiplying 8 cm by 1.20 (120%).

And the area of the tray is 1400 SQUARE centimeters (not just cm). (Post #2 told you this.)

Now, as I've already said, I don't know what you are expected to do either, because I don't know what you are learning.

So please tell us what topics you have been studying, which may give us better ideas of what you are supposed to do. It's possible that this is just a very poorly planned exercise, since it is so unclear how you can do it mathematically; but we'll hope that it is intended to use some specific idea you were recently taught.

40cm x 35cm = 1400cm
8cm x 20% ÷ 100 = 1.6cm
8cm + 1.6cm = 9.6cm

Yes, you need to draw a picture showing how you would arrange the scones on a tray. See post #5.

This is for my level 2 maths OCN in essential skills. The entire booklet is filled with questions like this one and most of them are based on either multiplication or division. I will try to draw it out now but it’s asking me to show how I worked it out step by step..

Most likely (though I could be more sure if I saw a page or two of the booklet), they are expecting you simply to arrange the scones in rows on the tray. It doesn't sound like they want my real-life approach (fitting as many as possible by any means), or any fancy geometry, just a basic multiplication and division.

You've found the diameter of each scone after baking; how many can you fit in one row (40 cm)?

Then, how many of these rows can you fit across the tray (35 cm)?

Let us know your answers to those questions.

In this problem, the rectangular arrangement will provide most efficient use.

Thus the scones should be arranged in rectangular packing as opposed to hexagonal packing.

It turns out that you can fit one more using a nearly rectangular packing on the diagonal, than by the obvious rectangular arrangement that I am sure is intended for this level. I found that by playing with pictures and then verifying numerically. Similarly, I think you can fit the extra scone (or two) into a hexagonal array by moving a couple into open space at the edges to make room.

But, again, I am sure this is not the intent of the problem, which surely expects a "naive" approach.

@khio, keep thinking about rows and columns, multiplication and division. We're just talking on the side.

Last edited: