How many cubes are in this image enter the solution below

How many cubes are in this image enter the solution below
There are no cubes there at all; it's a flat figure.

Ultimately, it's ambiguous; you can interpret it in several different ways. How do you understand it? What is the context? What is your purpose in posting it here?

Uhhhhhh........ I'm guessing 8?
I think that's a good initial guess (but probably not the answer that the website(?) you found this on is "looking for") but it is still a guess.

Cubes are three dimensional entities and cannot, therefore, be accurately depicted in a two dimensional image, however, I would think this 'question' expects you to deduce that there are two cubes hidden on the bottom layer in addition to the six that are (apparently) visible (if you accept that the picture shows a structure comprising cubic building blocks for example).

Your guess suggests to me that you have considered that and, thus, arrived at your answer of 8.

However, as @Steven G suggests, you haven't fully considered every layer of the structure (there are three layers shown); have another go....

Hope that helps. ?

Last edited:
...I would think this 'question' expects you to deduce that there are two cubes hidden on the bottom layer in addition to the six that are (apparently) visible (if you accept that the picture shows a structure comprising cubic building blocks for example).

Your guess suggests to me that you have considered that and, thus, arrived at your answer of 8.

However, as @Steven G suggests, you haven't fully considered every layer of the structure...
I think we're also supposed to assume that no blocks are "connected" using glue or other fixatives. If we allow for glue, I can imagine a configuration where "8" is indeed the correct answer. ;)

I think we're also supposed to assume that no blocks are "connected" using glue or other fixatives. If we allow for glue, I can imagine a configuration where "8" is indeed the correct answer. ;)
My impression is that this is intended to be ambiguous, so that no one answer is correct, and whatever you say, someone can call you wrong. There's more than enough of that going around on social media, from what I hear. (I avoid it.) Am I too cynical?

If we take it as an image of cubes, there are 6 visible (literally in the image); 3 more that can be inferred if we take it as a self-supporting pile of blocks; and 4 more, I think, that can be supposed if we include blocks that might be entirely hidden on the back side of the pile. (Even more could be hidden if we drop the assumption of a floor.)

But as I said before, if we take it fully literally, the answer is zero. I'm serious about that. "Supposed to assume" is only an assumption; the problem says "are", not "might be".

I think there 9. Ooooh do I win a prize if Im right? :)
No! This isn't a "quiz" forum! There are no prizes for knowing the right answers and certainly none for posting them!
The (sole) aim of the forum is to HELP members to arrive at the correct answers by themselves (the clue is in the forum name).
If you continue to just post your answers to the OP's problems (as you have also done
here) you run the risk of being banned from the forum altogether.
You should also read through any thread before adding your 'wisdom' to it; in doing so you would have found your most recent posts effectively redundant. ?