I don't get this Paradox

Steven G

Elite Member
I offer you the opportunity to play a game with the following perfectly true introduction.

"I have 3 envelopes here. Two of them contain a slip of paper that says 'You win!'. One contains a slip that says 'You lose!'. You choose an envelope. If the slip in that envelope says 'You win!', I pay you $1. Otherwise, you pay me $1. Since there are 2 winning envelopes and only one losing envelope, the odds are clearly in your favor. Do you want to play?"

Most folks, knowing that something interesting must be up, will take me up on the game.

When I hand over the envelopes, it may be seen that there are 3 distinct statements, one written on each envelope:

1. At most one of the statements on these envelopes is true.

2. This envelope contains a "You win!" slip.

3. This envelope contains the "You lose!" slip.

The expected line of reasoning goes as follows: If the statement on envelope 1 is true, then the others are false and envelope 2 contains the “You lose!” slip. If the statement on envelope 1 is false, then the others are true and envelope 3 contains the “You lose!” slip. In neither case does envelope 1 contain the “You lose!” slip. Therefore, choose envelope 1.

As you might now expect, I had put the “You lose!” slip in envelope 1. What’s going on here is an apparent violation of theLaw of the Excluded Middlewhich most of us are inclined to accept as a matter of course. But here we have clearly demonstrated that the statement on envelope 1 is neither true nor false! Think of it as a proof by contradiction: Assuming it is either true or false, we arrive at a contradiction.

I get everything up to the last paragraph. That is, I agree that one should choose envelope 1 (and expect a you win slip inside it).
As you might now expect, I had put the “You lose!” slip in envelope 1. This means to me that none of the statements need to be true and that you should not choose envelope 1. I thought that one statement could be true. Does the writing on the envelopes mean anything? That is, does at most one have to be true?

Does the writing on the envelopes mean anything? That is, does at most one have to be true?
Only if the first statement is true!

I worked this out by considering where "You lose" might be, rather than which statement(s) might be true:

If it's in (3), then (2) and (3) are true, and (1) is false, which is all consistent. So that's possible.

If it's in (2), then (2) and (3) are false, and (1) is true, which is consistent. So this, too, is possible.

If it's in (1), then (2) is true, (3) is false, and ... if (1) is true, then (1) is false, but if (1) is false, then (1) is true. So (1) has no truth value, and, indeed, only one of the three statements is true!

But I would call the whole setup a lie, just as it would be a lie to say "This statement is false".

Only if the first statement is true!

I worked this out by considering where "You lose" might be, rather than which statement(s) might be true:

If it's in (3), then (2) and (3) are true, and (1) is false, which is all consistent. So that's possible.

If it's in (2), then (2) and (3) are false, and (1) is true, which is consistent. So this, too, is possible.

If it's in (1), then (2) is true, (3) is false, and ... if (1) is true, then (1) is false, but it (1) is false, then (1) is true. So (1) has no truth value, and, indeed, only one of the three statements is true!

But I would call the whole setup a lie, just as it would be a lie to say "This statement is false".
I get everything up to if (1) is true, then (1) is false, but if (1) is false, then (1) is true. So (1) has no truth value, and, indeed, only one of the three statements is true!
In fact, I had already tried your method by considering where "you lose" might be.

I get everything up to if (1) is true, then (1) is false, but if (1) is false, then (1) is true. So (1) has no truth value, and, indeed, only one of the three statements is true!
In fact, I had already tried your method by considering where "you lose" might be.
Given that "You lose" is in the first envelope, (2) is true (because it does contain "You win"; (3) is false (because it doesn't contain "You lose". But what about (1), which says, "At most one of the statements on these envelopes is true"?
  • If we say it is true, then both (1) and (2) are true, which is more than one, so (1) is false, contradicting our claim.
  • If we say it is false, then only (2) is true, which is no more than one, so (1) is true, contradicting our claim.
So it can't be either.

This is the same as the well-known paradox of saying "This statement is false", which is true if it is false, and false if it is true:

I watched a nice video on the Liar Paradox here.

I now understanding this-thanks.