I tried solving this question, but I am not getting the right answer. Please help.

winny

Janice creates an alphabetical list (based on the English alphabet) containing all the arrangements of the letters in the word FELINES. Word 1 on her list is EEFILNS. What number is the word NIEELFS?

Answer is word 1983.

Please give me each steps for solving. This is for 7th and 8th class students. They want shortcut math steps on how to derive 1983 quickly. Thank you for your help and time.

Janice creates an alphabetical list (based on the English alphabet) containing all the arrangements of the letters in the word FELINES. Word 1 on her list is EEFILNS. What number is the word NIEELFS?

Answer is word 1983.

Please give me each steps for solving. This is for 7th and 8th class students. They want shortcut math steps on how to derive 1983 quickly. Thank you for your help and time.

Please reply with a clear listing of your thoughts and steps that led to whatever was your result. ("Read Before Posting") This will enable the helpers to see what's going on, and where things are going sideways.

Thank you!

If you show us your work then we might be able to see where you are making a mistake.
Hint: How many words start with E? With F? ...

It might be better to first decide on how many words are in this list and then see how many words will come after NIEELFS