Inclined Plane vector problem ("A 100kg TV is loaded onto a truck using a ramp at a 30-deg angle.")

coooool222

I don't want a solution to this problem, I just want to clear up two confusions I have

Why are they multiplying the weight by the sin and cosine of the 30-degree angle?
Isn't weight not affected by anything since it's constant?

Also is the angle of friction 0 because it's a straight line?

Screenshot 2023-10-20 154330.png
Screenshot 2023-10-20 154348.png
Screenshot 2023-10-20 154407.png

Why are they multiplying the weight by the sin and cosine of the 30-degree angle?
Isn't weight not affected by anything since it's constant?
They are multiplying by sine and cosine to obtain the components of W relative to x and y coordinates that they apparently failed to identify, so part of your misunderstanding is their fault -- unless you have omitted the vector diagram that should show those things.

It appears that x is taken as parallel to the ramp, and y is perpendicular to it.
Also is the angle of friction 0 because it's a straight line?
No; it's because the friction force is parallel to the ramp.

If you did omit a vector diagram, please show that to us, so we can help you read it.

They are not modifying [imath]W[/imath] but computing two forces which are cancelling [imath]W[/imath]. The weight must be cancelled by other forces so that the TV stays in place. The cancelling forces are
  • Friction, which is directed upward along the ramp, and has magnitude [imath]W_x[/imath]
  • Pressure from the ramp applied to the TV; this force is orthogonal to the ramp and has magnitude [imath]W_y[/imath].
As @Dr.Peterson noted, the coordinate system is "attached" to the ramp's surface. As would be seen from the "missing diagram", the coordinates of the weight vector are [imath](-W_x,-W_y)[/imath].

They are multiplying by sine and cosine to obtain the components of W relative to x and y coordinates that they apparently failed to identify, so part of your misunderstanding is their fault -- unless you have omitted the vector diagram that should show those things.

It appears that x is taken as parallel to the ramp, and y is perpendicular to it.

No; it's because the friction force is parallel to the ramp.

If you did omit a vector diagram, please show that to us, so we can help you read it.
oh yeah i forgot about the diagram, here1697845272219.png