Induction for inequality: 2^{|x| - 1} <= x <= 2^{|x|}

ReallyBadAtMathGuy

1699912450115.png

We have to prove this inequality by induction for x > 0. Additionally, we have to conclude that |x| = ⌊log2 x⌋ + 1. I am struggling with the induction step as I don't know what to do

base case: x = 1

2|1| - 1 ≤ 1 < 2 |1| → 1 ≤ 1 < 2

induction step: x → x + 1

2|x+1| - 1 ≤ x + 1 < 2|x + 1|

→ 2|x| ≤ x + 1 < 2|x| + 1

Thanks for any help

View attachment 36754

We have to prove this inequality by induction for x > 0. Additionally, we have to conclude that |x| = ⌊log2 x⌋ + 1. I am struggling with the induction step as I don't know what to do

Thanks for any help

The steps are (a) the base step, (b) the assumption step, and (c) the induction step. But I'm not seeing your assumption step?

View attachment 36754

We have to prove this inequality by induction for x > 0. Additionally, we have to conclude that |x| = ⌊log2 x⌋ + 1.
The conclusion is false, too!

And it's also odd that they take the absolute value of a variable that is promised to be positive -- but they don't take the absolute value in the conclusion, where it has to be positive because they take the log!

Looking again at the conclusion, I suspect they are using a special definition of |x|, probably the number of digits in the binary expansion. For example, 5 = 1012, with 3 digits, and log2(5) = 2.322; rounding that down and adding 1, you get 3.

Check your source carefully, and show us everything it says.

The conclusion is false, too!

And it's also odd that they take the absolute value of a variable that is promised to be positive -- but they don't take the absolute value in the conclusion, where it has to be positive because they take the log!

Looking again at the conclusion, I suspect they are using a special definition of |x|, probably the number of digits in the binary expansion. For example, 5 = 1012, with 3 digits, and log2(5) = 2.322; rounding that down and adding 1, you get 3.

Check your source carefully, and show us everything it says.
It is as you said. |x| is the number of digits in the binary expansion. I forgot to mention that. Thanks for mentioning it

View attachment 36754

Thanks for any help
|x| = number of digits in binary, for example |5| = 3 since 510 = 1012

It is as you said. |x| is the number of digits in the binary expansion. I forgot to mention that. Thanks for mentioning it
Now try the induction, using that information!

I haven't tried it myself, but I would not be surprised if the induction is not on x, but on, say, |x|.

Note that the work you showed is nonsense given this definition, so we haven't yet seen any proper work from you.
Oh yeah sorry, the assumption step is:
View attachment 36756 for any x>0
No, you can't just assume that! That's what you're trying to prove.

Please give us more context. You claim to be Bad At Math, but clearly you are in a fairly advanced course. What are you learning? Has anything been said, or any examples been given, that might suggest tricks you could use?