Kelly has nine pieces of ribbon. She recorded the length of each piece in the line plot shown.

eddy2017

Elite Member
Hi, I think the number line is separated in 1/4's.
We are dealing with addition of fractions here.
I have the first piece of ribbon is at 12
But I am not understanding the set up. any hint?
Thanks

1646510082490.png

Hi, I think the number line is separated in 1/4's.
We are dealing with addition of fractions here.
I have the first piece of ribbon is at 12
But I am not understanding the set up. any hint?
Thanks

View attachment 31514
You say: "I have the first piece of ribbon is at 12" - why worry about that? What is the FIND?

Look at the graph carefully! The longest pieces are .....

No! How many pieces are 14.5" long?
only one!
and the one with 15 inches long, yes

There are two that measure [imath]14.5[/imath] and only that measures [imath]15[/imath].
What is the answer?

There are two that measure [imath]14.5[/imath] and only that measures [imath]15[/imath].
What is the answer?
Oh, the two crosses on top said the numbers of lengths!. Did not know how to interpret it.
peice of cake now :)

1646515001962.png

Thank you all!!!. I have seen that the skills in intepreting visuals is half the batttle in math.

I did not know the crosses were telling the amount of lengths!.
look at post 8 after pka's hint. is it correct or not?

I give up.......
never say give up. I will never say give up on someone who tries. I will say how can I get thru to him!. I repeat. I did not know the crosses were telling the numbers of pieces!
I have to reinforce certain skills before I proceed with 8th and 9th math

Thank you all!!!. I have seen that the skills in intepreting visuals is half the batttle in math.

I did not know the crosses were telling the amount of lengths!.
Kelly recorded lengths of 9 pieces of ribbons. How many crosses are there on the graph? I do not see how else it could be interpreted!!

Kelly recorded lengths of 9 pieces of ribbons. How many crosses are there on the graph? I do not see how else it could be interpreted!!
You see it easily. I don't. I had to go back to 5th grade math because I need to practice interpretation of visuals and stuff like that. I feel i have a hard time interpreting visuals. That is why I keep posting this apparently easy stuff for many not for me.

You see it easily. I don't. I had to go back to 5th grade math because I need to practice interpretation of visuals and stuff like that. I feel i have a hard time interpreting visuals. That is why I keep posting this apparently easy stuff for many not for me.
It's a histogram. ;)

Doc, comparing any of my skills to yours will be comparing Mount Everest to Mount Wycheproof!. Don't say you give up on me, c'mon.:)

Believe it or not, with the help if all my tutors here I have been gaining knowledge in interpretation of visuals. Step by step.