Letter arrangements

graciek

How many different arrangements can you make using all letters of the word PARALLELOGRAM, if the first letter must be a P and the last letter must be an M? Show all your steps for full marks.

How many different arrangements can you make using all letters of the word PARALLELOGRAM, if the first letter must be a P and the last letter must be an M? Show all your steps for full marks.
Please show all the steps you have tried, for full help. (We don't need the marks, you do. And to earn them, you need to be able to solve this yourself.)

At the very least, please ask us some specific questions about solving the problem, and tell us what you have learned.

Suppose that we are given this string: [imath]PA_1R_1A_2L_1L_2EL_3OGR_2A_3M[/imath] .
That is a sting string of thirteen different letters (the subscripts make the difference).
How many ways can that string be rearranged? To get your answer we must remove the subscripts.
If we do that what must we divide by and why?

Last edited by a moderator:
So you need to re-arrange the letters from PARALLELOGRAM - there are 13 spaces. Since the last and the first spaces are already taken, for rest of the game,

How many spaces do you have to "play" with?​
How many letters do you have to play with?​

Can I also play? I like letters and spaces. Actually I do not know what a space really is but I'm willing to learn.

Can I also play? I like letters and spaces. Actually I do not know what a space really is but I'm willing to learn.
OK...Google those terms and you with learn all about those...