Linear Combinations

TCruz12

Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 5.39.11 PM.png

I'm having trouble understanding how get the value of "w" to know if you can write it as a linear combination? Could I get some explanation on how to get that value to complete the problem?

View attachment 20677
I'm having trouble understanding how get the value of "w" to know if you can write it as a linear combination? Could I get some explanation on how to get that value to complete the problem?
This is the simple fact: \(\Large\vec{w}=2\vec{v_2}-\vec{v_1}\)

You start at the origin which is where the three vectors meet. Then you go from there to the tip of W. The rule is that you can only go along the blue and red lines. How would you walk from the origin to W?

BTW, pka did solve for a1 and a2.

How would you solve for a1 and a2 then?
The question tells you that [MATH]\vec{w}[/MATH]=a1[MATH]\vec{v}[/MATH]1+a2[MATH]\vec{v}[/MATH]2 and pka wrote: also that [MATH]\vec{w}[/MATH]=2[MATH]\vec{v}[/MATH]2-[MATH]\vec{v}[/MATH]1. There are two issues here: first that you agree with what pka wrote in his first reply. After that, check that you can identify a1 and a2. I hope that helps you.

The question tells you that [MATH]\vec{w}[/MATH]=a1[MATH]\vec{v}[/MATH]1+a2[MATH]\vec{v}[/MATH]2 and pka wrote: also that [MATH]\vec{w}[/MATH]=2[MATH]\vec{v}[/MATH]2-[MATH]\vec{v}[/MATH]1. There are two issues here: first that you agree with what pka wrote in his first reply. After that, check that you can identify a1 and a2. I hope that helps you.

This helped so much thank you! I understand that a1 is 2 and a2 is -1.