Lineman Aptitude Test Question

Hi, no problem with offering you help with your problem. First, can you tell us where you are stuck and what you have tried? After all, this is a help forum which means we do not solve problems for students.

Hi, no problem with offering you help with your problem. First, can you tell us where you are stuck and what you have tried? After all, this is a help forum which means we do not solve problems for students.
Hello, so I tried finding the slope and then the y intercept and plugging that into the slope-intercept form but I got the solution as y=x+8 and I think the answer is C because I was looking up how to do this problem and other ones like it had c as the answer but I'm not understanding how it's the answer since the constant I got is 8 and not 6.

Hello, so I tried finding the slope and then the y intercept and plugging that into the slope-intercept form but I got the solution as y=x+8 and I think the answer is C because I was looking up how to do this problem and other ones like it had c as the answer but I'm not understanding how it's the answer since the constant I got is 8 and not 6.
Can you write an equation for option c?
Does that equation match your equation y=x+8?

Answer C states that Y is equivalent to the difference between x and c. That is Y is equivalent to the difference between x and 6.
Now, is equivalent to means is equal to, ie =.
So Y is equivalent to the difference between x and 6 becomes Y = the difference between x and 6. Now the difference between x and 6 is x-6.
In the end we get y = x-6. Is that the same as y=x+8?

Here is an easier way to get that y = x+8.

Note in your table, if you add 8 to any of the x values you get the corresponding y value.
Now you get means equal to, ie =.
Adding 8 to the x values mean x+8.
Putting this together, we get x+8 = y or y=x+8

Last edited:
Yes, y=x+8 represents the relationship. C is not the answer, because, as you said, the relationship in C is y=x-6 which is clearly not the same.
What about the other options?

Your "solution" is correct so just ignore everything else you said after that and trust your own calculations (you've clearly done them correctly).
So which of the options (A to D) matches your "solution"?
(
Hint: For Option A, do what you did with the original table over again.)