Logarithm help!

JFairclough

Currently stuck with question 4 if anyone could provide help/answer with the relevant explanation. Image attached! Thanks.image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 3
I have to guess that they made a (literal) typographical error, and meant [MATH]\log_{xy}x\cdot \log_{xy}y = \frac{1}{4}[/MATH].

You say you are stuck; where are you stuck? What did you try? Did you try, for example, using the change-of-base formula?

Last edited:
I have to guess that they made a (literal) typographical error, and meant [MATH]\log_{xy}x\cdot\log_{xy}y = \frac{1}{4}[/MATH].

You say you are stuck; where are you stuck? What did you try? Did you try, for example, using the change-of-base formula?
Thank you for your feedback, yes we have been told to use the change of base formula however I am struggling to find anywhere that shows the change of base formula using the format of the question.

thanks.

What do you mean by "using the format of the question"? Am I correct in my correction of the format?

Just state the formula you do know, and show some attempt at applying it, so I can see where I can give you an appropriate nudge.

You can be sure that x is not equal 1 and that y is not equal 1. Why?

You can be sure that x is positive and that y is positive. Why?

So either x or y is suitable for being a base for logarithms.