Logarithmic inequality: 2*ln(x) - 3 < [ 2*ln(x) + 3 ] / ln(x)

Alberto02

Hi,
i am trying to solve a logarithmic inequality but my solution is wrong.
i have no idea why.
i attached fotos of my procedure.
thanks very much to anyone replies me ?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 5
i am trying to solve a logarithmic inequality but my solution is wrong.
i have no idea why.
i attached fotos of my procedure.
If I am reading the text in the attachments correctly, the exercise is as follows:

[imath]\qquad 2\ln(x) - 3 < \dfrac{2\ln(x)+3}{\ln(x)}[/imath]

You appear then to multiply through by [imath]\ln(x)[/imath]. However, the logarithm can take on negative values. You would need to consider two cases -- where [imath]0 < x < 1[/imath] and [imath]x > 1[/imath] -- before doing this multiplication.

However, one can achieve much the same result by converting to a common denominator. Then you'll have a quadratic inequality to solve.

(I get the same solution as is contained in "1.jpg". I don't follow what's going on in "2.jpg".)

Almost always, one of the first things I do after seeing one or more fractions is to consider clearing fractions.

[math]2 \ln(x) - 3 = \dfrac{2 \ln(x) + 3}{\ln(x)} \implies 2 \ln(x) * \ln(x) - 3 \ln (x) = 2 \ln(x) + 3[/math]
And when I see an ugly-looking expression multiplied by itself, I think u-substitution.

[math]u = \ln (x) \implies 2u^2 - 3u = 2u + 3 \implies \text{WHAT?}[/math]
This is a more mechanical way to see the same thing that stapel is seeing from experience.

Thanks very much for the replies!

stapel said:
However, one can achieve much the same result by converting to a common denominator. Then you'll have a quadratic inequality to solve.

i did it and it works, then i did sign study of denominator and of numerator and then i merged the solution in sign graph.

Thanks very much for the replies!

i did it and it works, then i did sign study of denominator and of numerator and then i merged the solution in sign graph.
...and what was your answer? Can you please post your work? If it's not 100% correct we can point out out your error(s) and if it is completely correct then someone else can benefit by seeing your work.

The helpers on this forum volunteer their free time helping students and all we ask is that students try 'paying' us back by making our life easier by not having to solve the same problems multiple time which is what may happen when a student does not show their completed work.

sorry, I didn't think about it.

i attached fotos of procedure:)
i hope that can help someone!
bye

Attachments

• 1°.jpg
    1°.jpg
    589.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 2°.jpg
    2°.jpg
    509.4 KB · Views: 1