math induction problem with logs

As we've said before, it's a really good idea to quote the entire problem, including such directions. It sounds like your OP here was entirely misdirected, as they were encouraging you to find that base case any way you want, not requiring a proof for that part, or even an efficient way to find it.

It may be that your book isn't really pushing the idea of bullet-proof proofs, and you're expected to be a little [too] relaxed about such details. That's another reason I'd want to leaf through the book, just to get a sense of its style and level. What book is it?
You are right. I will be more careful in future posts. I know it is important to know what is being asked for. I just looked up the instructions on this problem and here they are verbatim:" Exer. 27-32 Find the smallest positive integer j for which the statement is true. Use the extended principle of mathematical induction to prove the formula is true for every integer greater than j." So, my recall was faulty.
Beer induced recall follows.

He mentioned the author a few weeks ago at:
Yes, Erik Stokowski and Jeffery Cole. Precalculus. Edition 9.

It occurred to me this morning lying awake at 3 am in a funk over the state of the world--which reminds me of Napoleon's quip, "3 am courage is the only real courage" or something like that--as I was saying, it occurred to me that the name of my author is not Erik Stokowski, but Earl Stokowski.