Maths for data science

Hello, I am very interested in studying and mastering data science. I want a list of all the math needed to master this topic. A step-by-step detailed view of all the branches and why I need to study them would be appreciated. Thanks

Hello, I am very interested in studying and mastering data science. I want a list of all the math needed to master this topic. A step-by-step detailed view of all the branches and why I need to study them would be appreciated. Thanks
Data Science is a vast subject - almost like Physics or Chemistry or Literature. It really not possible to give you "A step-by-step detailed view of all the branches" or "why I need to study those"

Consult with the instructors of the college/university and discuss these topics.

Data Science is a vast subject - almost like Physics or Chemistry or Literature. It really not possible to give you "A step-by-step detailed view of all the branches" or "why I need to study those"

Consult with the instructors of the college/university and discuss these topics.
Can you recommend any books or courses(online)?

I cannot do that without knowing your math-background and associated courses. That is why you need to seek out a local advisor (possibly a professor in the stated academia) with whom you can have a face-to-face talk about your aspirations.

My familiarity with data sciences is rather modest so take with a grain of salt.
Lots of data sciences methods are statistical in nature, so some familiarity with probability and statistics would be helpful.
Neural nets / deep learning use linear algebra and multivariate calculus, with emphasis on various flavors of gradient descent. You can probably build applications without understanding all the math behind them, but then you don't get a full picture.

For neural nets I really liked Andrew Ng's Coursera lectures when Coursera was just starting. I don't know whether the current classes are as good as the old one. I also remember taking a good class some years ago on Udacity by a guy from Google (https://vincent.vanhoucke.com/).

The university where I am finishing up my masters degree (NOT in data science) has a masters program in data science. Prerequisites are a strong statistics background, knowledge of database construction, and some programming experience. As for the program itself, curriculum is focused on more statistics, more programming, and machine learning. A former student of mine minored in data science at the undergrad level, and told me that her curriculum was a combination of statistics, probability, and programming. She was majoring in actuarial science, so all she really had to add was the programming component.