Maximum/Investigation

1603325053062.png

For question 8. I successfully completed the first part, but struggled to do the second, because I'm unsure of the process of finding the maximum of an equation.

I completed the first part of the investigation, but I don't know how to solve parts 2 and especially 3.

Please show your work. "I successfully completed" is not enough information.

Wow I never knew that you could read off the point B where the max will be.
BTW, this is not meant for the OP.

It would be helpful if you told us what you got for part "a"!
There are, of course, three "similar triangles" in the picture, the entire right triangle with base length 8 cm and height 6 cm, the triangle on top of the rectangle with base length x and height 6- y, and the triangle to the right with base length 8- x and height y.

Since those are similar we must have \(\displaystyle \frac{8}{6}= \frac{4}{3}= \frac{x}{6- y}= \frac{8- x}{y}\). From \(\displaystyle \frac{4}{3}= \frac{x}{6- y}\), 4(6- y)= 3x so 24- 4y= 3x, 3x+ 4y= 24. From \(\displaystyle \frac{4}{3}= \frac{8- x}{y}\), 4y= 3(8- x), 4y= 24- 3x, 3x+ 4y= 24. Those are the same equation which give "y in terms of x" as \(\displaystyle y= 6- \frac{3}{4}x\).

The area of the rectangle is \(\displaystyle xy= x(6- \frac{3}{4}x)= 6x- \frac{3}{4}x^2= -\frac{3}{4}(x^2- 8x)\). The graph of that is a parabola opening downward. Its maximum value is at the vertex which you can find by "completing the square".

For "2", if p and q are roots of \(\displaystyle 2x^2- 5x+ 1= 0\) then we can write \(\displaystyle 2x^2- 5x+ 1= 2(x- p)(x- q)= 2(x^2- (p+q)x+ pq)\). You can just "read off" p+q and pq. For \(\displaystyle p^2+ q^2\), remember that \(\displaystyle (p+ q)^2= p^2+ 2pq+ q^2\). \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{p}+ \frac{1}{q}= \frac{q}{pq}+ \frac{p}{pq}= \frac{p+ q}{pq}\).

For "3" if p and q are roots of \(\displaystyle 2x^2- 5x+ 1= 2(x- p)(x- q)= 2x^2- 2(p+q)x+ pq= 0\) then "one more than the roots" would be p+ 1 and q+ 1. All quadratic equations having those roots are of the form \(\displaystyle a(x- (p+ 1))(x- (q+1))= a(x^2- (p+1)x- (q+1)x+ (p+1)(q+1)= a(x^2- px- x- qx- x+ pq+ p+ q+ 1)= \frac{a}{2}(2x^2- 2(p+q)x+ 2pq)- pq+ p+ q+ 1)\). Since p and q are roots of the original equation, p+ q= 5 and pq= 1.