Modulus of complex numbers z=(cos+i sin)^7

Lula

Hi
I’m pretty sure complex numbers written in this form z=(x+yi)^7≠ z^7
I’m trying to find the modulus of this could anyone give me a step–by–step please?

Hey
So I have a complex number written in the form z=(cos + i sin)^7 which is not how I’m used to seeing them written. I would usually get a problem that looks like z^7=(cos + i sin)^7 where both sides are raised to the power, so I wondered how the method of finding the modulus would change for numbers in this form.

to find the modulus I would usually convert to rectangular form [z=(x+yi)] and then (x^2+y^2)^1/2 = mod Z

What's the point of seeing a new form if all you do is convert it back to the old, more-familiar form?

i^1 = i -- modulus is?
i*2 = -1 -- modulus is?
i^3 = -i -- modulus is?
i^4 = 1 -- modulus is?

"pretty sure" - Not a good foundation for mathematics.

You should have met Euler's Formula: [math]e^{it} = r\cdot\left(cos(t)+i\cdot\sin(t)\right)[/math]
Use your oldest algebra to imagine what exponentiation will do to the modulus of both sides of that.

Hey
So I have a complex number written in the form z=(cos + i sin)^7 which is not how I’m used to seeing them written. I would usually get a problem that looks like z^7=(cos + i sin)^7 where both sides are raised to the power, so I wondered how the method of finding the modulus would change for numbers in this form.

to find the modulus I would usually convert to rectangular form [z=(x+yi)] and then (x^2+y^2)^1/2 = mod Z
You write:

z=(cos + i sin)^7 .........................that is incorrect. It probably should have been:

z=(cos(t) + i sin(t))^7

Please do not double post.

Pet peeve warning!!

You can't just write sin and cos. These are functions which have an argument, like [math]sin( \theta )[/math] and [math]cos( \theta )[/math]. These are needed to give the trig. functions meaning.

If you can't/won't use something like [math]\theta[/math], feel free to simply use a t if you can. But you have to have something there.

End of pet peeve!

-Dan

I’m pretty sure complex numbers written in this form z=(x+yi)^7≠ z^7
I’m trying to find the modulus of this could anyone give me a step–by–step please?
If \(z=a+bi\) then the modulus is \(|z|=\sqrt{a^2+b^2}\). For any \(n\) it is the case that \(|z^n|=|z|^n\).
Please note that for any \(\theta\), the modulus \(|\cos(\theta)+i\sin(\theta)|=1\)

To find polar form you need to find the argument:
\(\arg(x + yi) = \left\{ {\begin{array}{{rl}} {\arctan \left( {\frac{y}{x}} \right),}&{x > 0} \\ {\arctan \left( {\frac{y}{x}} \right) + \pi ,}&{x < 0\;\& \;y > 0} \\ {\arctan \left( {\frac{y}{x}} \right) - \pi ,}&{x < 0\;\& \;y < 0} \end{array}} \right.\)

Ok so I can find the modulus in whatever for
You write:

z=(cos + i sin)^7 .........................that is incorrect. It probably should have been:

z=(cos(t) + i sin(t))^7

Please do not double post.
[/QU
Pet peeve warning!!

You can't just write sin and cos. These are functions which have an argument, like [math]sin( \theta )[/math] and [math]cos( \theta )[/math]. These are needed to give the trig. functions meaning.

If you can't/won't use something like [math]\theta[/math], feel free to simply use a t if you can. But you have to have something there.

End of pet peeve!

-Dan

okay that’s a good point but do you have any suggestions for the question? Do you think I should go about solving this starting with rearranging to
Z^(1/7) = cos(t)+i sin(t) ?

I have a number in the form
Z= [cos(t) - i sin(t)]^7

and I’m trying to find the modulus and argument.
Would it be correct to re-write as

Z^(1/7) =[cos(t) - i sin(t)]

and go from there or would it be correct to re-write as

z=7[cos(7t) - i sin(7t)]

Last edited:
Ok so I can find the modulus in whatever for okay that’s a good point but do you have any suggestions for the question? Do you think I should go about solving this starting with rearranging to
Z^(1/7) = cos(t)+i sin(t) ?
Have you studied:

De Moivre's formula

You need to apply that here. If you have not heard of it before - do a google search, there are excellent video and "written" lessons are available.

Study those. If you are still stuck - come back and tell us exactly where you got stuck. We can unstuck you...

I have a number in the form
Z= [cos(t) - i sin(t)]^7
and I’m trying to find the modulus and argument.
I have shown you in reply #8 that \(|\cos(t)-i\sin(t)|=1\) thus \(|\cos(t)-i\sin(t)|^7=1\)

Last edited by a moderator: