Moved - Ice Cream Sale

rmjash

Here is the word problem word for word.

Kent Christy is organizing a fundraiser for the pool he manages. He bought ice-crean cones ($.75) and ice-crean sandwiches ($1.00) to sell. His total bill was $225 (a) If he ordered twice the number of ice-cream cones than ice-cream sandwiches, how many of each did he buy? (b) What did he spend for ice-cream cones? (c) What did he spend for ice-cream sandwiches?

I attempted to use the blueprint aid below but the total bought for ice-cream-cones and ice-cream sandwiches doesn't equal the total amount Kent spent of $225?

Unknown | Variables | Price | Relationship
Cones 2C $.75 2C
Sandwiches C $1.00 + C
_______
$225
2C + C = $225
3C = $225
__ ____
3 3

C=75

a = (150) ice-cream cones
(75) ice-cream sandwiches
b = 150 * $.75 = $112.50
c = 75 * $1.00 = $75
_________
$197.50 -- Doesn't equal what Kent spent which was $225

Kent Christy is organizing a fundraiser for the pool he manages. He bought ice-crean cones ($.75) and ice-crean sandwiches ($1.00) to sell. His total bill was $225 (a) If he ordered twice the number of ice-cream cones than ice-cream sandwiches, how many of each did he buy? (b) What did he spend for ice-cream cones? (c) What did he spend for ice-cream sandwiches?

I attempted to use the blueprint aid below but the total bought for ice-cream-cones and ice-cream sandwiches doesn't equal the total amount Kent spent of $225?

Cones 2C $.75 2C
Sandwiches C $1.00 + C
_______
$225
2C + C = $225
3C = $225
__ ____
3 3

C=75

b = 150 * $.75 = $112.50
c = 75 * $1.00 = $75
_________

First, News is probably not the best place for this question. Pre-Algebra or Basic Algebra would be my vote.

Anyway, I'm not sure I follow what you were trying to do. Does this make sense:

c = # of cones sold
s = # of sandwiches sold

You have two variables so you need at least two equations in order to solve this.

(1) 0.75c + s = 225
(2) c = 2s

Now substitute (2) into (1) and what do you get?

Hello, rmjash!

Kent Christy is organizing a fundraiser for the pool he manages.
He bought ice-crean cones ($0.75) and ice-crean sandwiches ($1.00) to sell.
His total bill was $225.

(a) If he ordered twice the number of cones as sandwiches, how many of each did he buy?
(b) What did he spend for ice-cream cones?
(c) What did he spend for ice-cream sandwiches?

Let \(\displaystyle S\) = number of sandwiches.
Then \(\displaystyle 2S\) = number of cone.

At $1 each, he spent \(\displaystyle S\) dollars on sandwiches.
At $0.75 each, he spent \(\displaystyle 0.75(2S) =1.5S\) dollars on cones.

He spent a total of $225: .\(\displaystyle S + 1.5S \:=\:225\)

. . . \(\displaystyle 2.5S \,=\,225 \quad\Rightarrow\quad S \,=\,90\)

(a) He bought 90 sandwiches and 180 cones.

(b) He spent \(\displaystyle 180(\$0.75) \:=\:\$135\) on cones.

(c) He spent \(\displaystyle 90(\$1) \:=\:\$90\) on sandwiches.

Cones 2C $.75 2C
Sandwiches C $1.00 + C
_______
$225
2C + C = $225
3C = $225
__ ____
3 3

C=75

b = 150 * $.75 = $112.50
c = 75 * $1.00 = $75
_________
First of all, as sir michael suggests, this belongs in the algebra or pre-algebra forum. Please remember next time.

Second, learn how to write math in a line of typed text.

3c = 225

3c/3 = 225/3

c = 75.

Now as for your problem.

You said c = number of sandwiches. So 2c = number of cones. OK So far

Then you say

2c + c = 225. How in the world can I add numbers of ice-cream thingies and get dollars as my answer.

Suppose you are asked by your friends to buy 2 cones and 1 sandwich at prices of 75 cents and 1 dollar respectively. Will that cost you $3? How much will it cost you? How did you figure it out?

So what should the equation be? Blueprints are all well and good for giving you a framework for your thinking, but you cannot turn off your common sense just because you have a blueprint. I'll build an upside down house that will tip over if I hold the blueprint bottomside up. I am supposed to know that the blueprint means for the roof to go on top, not on the bottom.

Thank all of you for your reply's back I greatly appreciate it!

It has been awhile for me with math I just wasn't using common sense and I also got so fix aided on the blueprint aid -- yikes!

It was from a math assignment.

I totally agree with you that the best way to learn is to practice...practice...practice

Thank you