mt. pass drops 341 ft for every 4207 hor. ft: find grade

orelan

Can someone help me? I'm terrible at word problems and not so great on functions either, so this problem has really got me stumped.

The problem is "A mountain pass drops 341 ft. vertically for every 4,207 ft horizontally. What is the grade?"

I am nowhere in the problem, so unfortunately I need help from the very begining. I would really be greatful for any help :) Orelan

Re: slope word problem

orelan said:
Can someone help me? I'm terrible at word problems and not so great on functions either, so this problem has really got me stumped. The problem is "A mountain pass drops 341 ft. vertically for every 4,207 ft horizontally. What is the grade?" I am nowhere in the problem, so unfortunately I need help from the very begining. I would really be greatful for any help :) Orelan

I need help from the very begining...

Let's begin at the begining - what is the definition of grade?

Subhotosh, there are several definitions of the word grade. 1. A body of students who are taught together; 2. A relative position or degree of value in a graded group; 3. One-hundredth of a right angle; 4. A degree of ablaut; 5. A number or letter indicating quality (especially of a student's performance); 6. The height of the ground on which something stands; 7. A position on a scale of intensity or amount or quality; 8. A variety of cattle produced by crossbreeding with a superior breed; 9. The gradient of a slope or road or other surface. Unfortunately the only one I'm interested in is number 9 and your answer wasn't very helpful there. Thanks anyway.

9. The gradient of a slope or road or other surface.

Excellent - now tell what have you learnt about finding the slope of a line?

Does "rise-over-run" ring a bell?