Need help associated with the following equation

gamaz321

Hello,
I have an equation in a radical form. I could do a few steps here. However, it is becoming too complicated to manage after a few steps. I am wondering
if this has any better approach to deal with this particular problem.
Thank you.

Attachments

• SolveForx.jpg
    SolveForx.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 8
Hello,
I have an equation in a radical form. I could do a few steps here. However, it is becoming too complicated to manage after a few steps. I am wondering
Thank you.
That's an interesting trick you're using, but I see another.

1660436945878.png

To make the equation simpler, start with a substitution: let y = x^2 + x + 4. See what happens.

Hello,
Thank you.
Square both sides, and simplify. It will give you a nice quartic that can be factored.
[math](\sqrt{a}+\sqrt{b})^2=(\sqrt{c})^2\\ a+b+2\sqrt{ab}=c [/math]
Edit: Making the substitution Dr P suggested before squaring both sides will simplify the problem into quadratic rather than quadric.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help to both of you. I tried applying both the suggestions. Unfortunately, I am still stuck. Here is my work in the attached document.

Attachments

• Page1.jpg
    Page1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Page2.jpg
    Page2.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 5
Thanks for the help to both of you. I tried applying both the suggestions. Unfortunately, I am still stuck. Here is my work in the attached document.
Check your work solving the quadratic at the end. You could just factor it.

Thanks. The answer to the problem is 0 and -1. So putting 0 or -1 in the last equation where I quit does not seems to give us LHS = RHS. Maybe, I am missing some point?

Thanks. The answer to the problem is 0 and -1. So putting 0 or -1 in the last equation where I quit does not seems to give us LHS = RHS. Maybe, I am missing some point?

The last equation is an equation in y, not x. Solve it for y, then find x.

Those are the correct answers for x. I'm not sure which equation you're referring to, but they work for the original equation.

Edit: Were those answers given to you or did you solve for them?

Last edited:
Is the value of y that I got in the screenshot in radical form correct? Here are a few more steps that I could do but running into a complicated situation to handle.

Attachments

• Page3b.jpg
    Page3b.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1
Is the value of y that I got in the screenshot in radical form correct? Here are a few more steps that I could do but running into a complicated situation to handle.

Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 10.37.42 PM.png

I thought you understood what Dr.P said in #5. You didn't evaluate the quadratic formula correctly, so check it again. Alternatively, you can factor [imath]y^2+3y-4=(y\pm?)(y\pm?)=0[/imath], without using the quadratic formula.

Thanks, now it works. I was repeatedly making a silly mistake in calculating the (b^2 - 4ac) value of the quadratic equation of y. When I fixed it things are all good.
Best regards to you and Dr. P!

It's interesting that the 2 complex solutions get washed out with the substitution.
[math] \sqrt{x^2+x+4}+\sqrt{x^2+x+1}=\sqrt{2x^2+2x+9}\\ \text{Squaring both sides:}\\ (x^2+x+4)+(x^2+x+1)+2\sqrt{(x^2+x+4)(x^2+x+1)}=2x^2+2x+9\\ 2\sqrt{x^4 + 2 x^3 + 6 x^2 + 5 x + 4}=4\\ x^4 + 2 x^3 + 6 x^2 + 5 x =0\\ x (x + 1) (x^2 + x + 5) = 0\\ \implies x=0,-1,\frac{-1\pm\sqrt{19}i}{2} [/math]

It's my bad. I believe the question was to find the real values of x. Hence the imaginary values are not in the answers.

It's my bad. I believe the question was to find the real values of x. Hence the imaginary values are not in the answers.
I inferred that much. I'm just including it for the sake of completeness.

Side note: Use the "reply" button in the bottom right corner so we know who you're replying to.

It's interesting that the 2 complex solutions get washed out with the substitution.
[math] \sqrt{x^2+x+4}+\sqrt{x^2+x+1}=\sqrt{2x^2+2x+9}\\ \text{Squaring both sides:}\\ (x^2+x+4)+(x^2+x+1)+2\sqrt{(x^2+x+4)(x^2+x+1)}=2x^2+2x+9\\ 2\sqrt{x^4 + 2 x^3 + 6 x^2 + 5 x + 4}=4\\ x^4 + 2 x^3 + 6 x^2 + 5 x =0\\ x (x + 1) (x^2 + x + 5) = 0\\ \implies x=0,-1,\frac{-1\pm\sqrt{19}i}{2} [/math]
No, the substitution method (as the OP did it) yields all four solutions; you get y=1 or -4, and the latter yields the two imaginary solutions, if you want them.

No, the substitution method (as the OP did it) yields all four solutions; you get y=1 or -4, and the latter yields the two imaginary solutions, if you want them.
Oops. For some reason, I thought it yields the two 0 and -1 answers. That makes more sense since there are 3 quadratics.

Last edited: