Need Help Understanding

Pfunk18

I’m not exactly understanding what this question is asking me to do. I understand that C and D are not functions but I believe it’s asking me how to make them functions. Can anyone help me out?

Attachments

• F1B36F8E-693C-4BB9-8376-17FB26FD9F41.jpeg
    F1B36F8E-693C-4BB9-8376-17FB26FD9F41.jpeg
    892.2 KB · Views: 7
They want you to restrict the range or domain of these so that they are functions.

Restricting the domain won't help in either case, but restricting the range will. See if you can come up with the restrictions.

There are multiple correct answers for both cases.

They want you to restrict the range or domain of these so that they are functions.

Restricting the domain won't help in either case, but restricting the range will. See if you can come up with the restrictions.

There are multiple correct answers for both cases.
Are you completely sure that restricting the domain in part D will not yield a function? I can see two such restriction with no restriction to the range.

For part C would you except the restriction of the domain being x>2?

Are you completely sure that restricting the domain in part D will not yield a function? I can see two such restriction with no restriction to the range.

For part C would you except the restriction of the domain being x>2?

I suppose you could restrict the domain to \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R} - (1,3)\) although it doesn't even appear as if the function is defined for
\(\displaystyle (x<-1) \cup (1 < x)\)

It makes much more sense to restrict the range to either [MATH][-1,1], \text{ or } [1,3][/MATH]

I suppose you could restrict the domain to \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R} - (1,3)\) although it doesn't even appear as if the function is defined for
\(\displaystyle (x<-1) \cup (1 < x)\)

It makes much more sense to restrict the range to either [MATH][-1,1], \text{ or } [1,3][/MATH]
I was thinking to restrict the domain to{1}, or {3} or even x= {1,3}.

I understand these results are not what the author is looking for but you did say Restricting the domain won't help in either case.

Just pointing it out!

Just pointing it out!

tenor.gif