Need help with homework...

Luminicia

Hi! I need help with an assignment. If you could also provide an explanation, that would greatly help.
'A is half of B. B is half of C. C is half of D. Which of the following statements is correct?
A. A is 1/4 of C
B. D is 4 times of A
C. D is 4 times of B
D. A is 1/4 of D'
I know it has something to do with fractions, I know it must be very basic, but I do so bad at fractions, I could get nowhere with the question. Any help is appreciated, thanks for taking the time to read this!

Hi! I need help with an assignment. If you could also provide an explanation, that would greatly help.
'A is half of B. B is half of C. C is half of D. Which of the following statements is correct?
A. A is 1/4 of C
B. D is 4 times of A
C. D is 4 times of B
D. A is 1/4 of D'
I know it has something to do with fractions, I know it must be very basic, but I do so bad at fractions, I could get nowhere with the question. Any help is appreciated, thanks for taking the time to read this!
You are given 3 conditions

1. A is half of B
  2. B is half of C
  3. C is half of D
We need to write these as mathematical equations. I'll do the first one for you.

To these, we change "is" to "=" and "of" to "* (multiplication)" and "half to (1/2).Then:

A is half of B \(\displaystyle \to \ \) A = 1/2 * B. So our first condition changes to following equation:

A = 1/2 * B ........................................(1)

Now you do the other two and tell us what you get.

Here's another way.
If A =1, what's B? Then what's C? Then what's D?
So which one of the statements is true?
To convince yourself, now let A be some other number, you decide. What is B, C and D? What statement is true? Same one?

A. A is 1/4 of C
B. D is 4 times of A
C. D is 4 times of B
D. A is 1/4 of D'
My difficulty here is that two of the statements are true, not just one. Does the problem really say "is correct", and not "are correct"?

Also, we don't say "4 times of A" (not in my dialect, or any other I know), so I wonder if you have translated from another language.

Here is yet another way to think about it, without actually writing fractions: If A is half of B, and B is half of C, then A is half of half of C. Try imagining taking half of an apple, say, and then taking half of that. Can you see what fraction of C you now have? Try drawing that with circles. As you do this, you will be improving your knowledge of fractions a little.

Hi, um sorry for the late reply. As for the question above, it is written in English, and I didn't translate it any way whatsoever. I saw your answers pretty late, and I'm about to head off to school, but oh well (besides, I need to brush up on my fraction skills...)
I did somehow thought that A is half of B, B is half of C, etc... So, A is half of the half of C.

Therefore, if A is 1/2 of B, that makes it 1/4 of C, right? I suppose it is 1/6 of D, too. I had A as my answer, but I just mostly relied on instincts... As for your other suggestions, I would've tried them, but it's too late now. Oh well, thanks for trying to help me out!

I can tell you were in a hurry; the 1/4 is right, but the 1/6 is not. Always take your time on math ...

As for your other suggestions, I would've tried them, but it's too late now. Oh well, thanks for trying to help me out!
Why is it too late now? If you are a math course you need to know this for the rest of the term. So please try to do it on your own or with our assistance.