Need help with question re: expressions

DRenaker

My son's study guide says: Write an expression for the number of tablespoons represented by t teaspoons. Use multiplication by a fraction. The next part says to substitute 1 3/4 teaspoons into your expression. Not quite sure what they are wanting here. Please help!

My son's study guide says: Write an expression for the number of tablespoons represented by t teaspoons. Use multiplication by a fraction. The next part says to substitute 1 3/4 teaspoons into your expression. Not quite sure what they are wanting here. Please help!
How many teaspoons make up a tablespoon?

So what fraction of a tablespoon is a teaspoon?

So how many tablespoons are there when you have t teaspoons?

You now have a formula for any number of teaspoons.

It's a little unusual to talk about 1 and 3/4 teaspoons, but you can put that number into the formula because it is good for any number. It is probably easiest computationally to convert into an improper fraction instead of a mixed fraction, but it is not necessary.

I'll try to explain, by showing a similar example.

Write an expression for the number of gallons represented by c cups. Use multiplication by a fraction. Substitute 12 1/2 cups into your expression.

There are 16 cups in one gallon (US liquid measurements). This means that one cup is 1/16th of a gallon.

Let c = the number of cups

Then, equal number of gallons is (1/16)c

The expression (1/16)c shows "multiplication by a fraction", so this expression satisfies the first requirement.

Next, we are told to substitute the given number of cups for symbol c in our expression, followed by doing the arithmetic to find out the equivalent number of gallons.

The given number of cups is a mixed number: 12 1/2. In algebra, we do not do arithmetic with mixed numbers; we convert them to improper fractions first.

12 1/2 = 25/2

(1/16)(25/2) = 25/32

12 1/2 cups = 25/32 gallons

Your questions? :cool:

PS: In the US, three teaspoons make 1 tablespoon; in the UK, four teaspoons make 1 tablespoon