Need Help with this question

By Pythgoras: HF2 = HG2 + FG2.   So, what does HF equal?

\(\displaystyle SIN = \frac{OPP}{HYP}   \left(\text{ie: }\frac{FG}{HF}\right)\).   So, which answer is correct for Sin H?

Last edited:
It is not required to calculate the exact value of HF as it has to be greater than HG or FG. Only one option fits in this condition.

It is not required to calculate the exact value of HF as it has to be greater than HG or FG. Only one option fits in this condition.
Stuff & nonsense, tri, the student is expected to calculate the exact value of HF (that's why the numbers have been chosen to make that such a simple matter)!
The question is clearly intended to direct the student towards demonstrating a knowledge & understanding of Pythagoras' Theorem and the ability to use it (in a fairly simple situation) and then further demonstrating knowledge & understanding of basic Right-Angled Triangle Trigonometry and the use of that to arrive at the correct answer choice; not a "slick" exploitation of a weakness in the question's construction.
If any of my pupils were given a paper containing this question, I would expect to see "working" (similar to what was illustrated at Post #2) scribbled beside the options and would counsel any student not producing such working that they had failed to derive the full benefit from undertaking the exercise.

If this were a question on something like the SAT I'd agree that it's a good test taking strategy. But since we are here to help the OP answer the question it's better to focus on the method, not time saving strategies.

But, hey, it's always a good thing to have more than one method to help check your answer!

-Dan