Nora’s fruit stand sold 12 fewer pineapples than bananas last week. The stand sold 48 bananas last week.

eddy2017

Elite Member
Hi, another interesting problem about ratios
1646610880483.png
question # 1
the ratio of bananas sold to pineapples was 4:1

question # 2 this ratio means that for every 4 bananas
the number of pineapples sold was 1
Is this correct?

48 bananas and 36 pineapples is a 4 to 1 ratio???? It is a 48:36 ratio!! This ratio can be expressed in many ways. Which one to do you think they are looking for?

48 bananas and 36 pineapples is a 4 to 1 ratio???? It is a 48:36 ratio!! This ratio can be expressed in many ways. Which one to do you think they are looking for?
well, this was the operation that I performed to find the ratio.
I set up the ratio of pineapples to bananas as,
12:48
then divide both terms by 12
that gave me the ratio of 1: 4
for every pineapple 4 bananas were sold.

I made a mistake in the operation. I corrected it.

Nora's stand did NOT sell 12 pineapples. Nora's stand sold 12 fewer pineapples than bananas!

Where did you get the 36 pineapples?

Allow me some time.

Where did you get the 36 pineapples?

Allow me some time.
Why are you asking us to - allow some time.

You need to allow yourself sometime. Read and re-reread the "question" (problem statement) - then write your response. 5 minutes later read your response again and edit it as needed - then press the "post reply" button!!!!!

You need to allow yourself sometime. Read and re-reread the "question" (problem statement) - then write your response. 5 minutes later read your response again and edit it as needed - then press the "post reply" button!!!!!
well, bananas= 48 -12 (fewer pineapples)=36
So the ratio is 48:36

Now I have to the greatest common divisor between these two numbers to simplify 48:36 .
the GCD = 12
Which means the answer to ratio 48:36 simplified is:
48 / 12 =4
36 / 12 = 3
So the ratio is 4: 3

for 4 bananas 3 pineapples were sold

Okeydoke, thanks a lot. It's been a good math day!. Have everyone a good evening. I'll check again tomorrow.

Ratio of bananas to pineapples
48:36
It is how it shoud be stated.
Then simplifying it
4:3

The problem says 12 fewer pineapples were sold.
The ratio is found to be 4:3
My question is
There is no way to find how many pineapple were sold in total?.

Doc, it is just a way of

Lol. It is just a literal translation. We use it as a polite form in Spanish to say you need or going to take some time. Sorry for the linguistic error.

The problem says 12 fewer pineapples were sold.
The ratio is found to be 4:3
My question is
There is no way to find how many pineapple were sold in total?.
Sure..... there is!!

48 ?s
Every 4 ?----- 3 ?
48 ÷4=12
12×3
36 bananas pineapples ? were sold

Last edited by a moderator: