Permutations Question

ErionK

Hello all, I've tried doing this question that I've listed below. I started and finished part a, but im unsure if i have the correct answer. I am also unsure how to begin part b so if someone could help i would appreciate it! :) The question is listed below. THANK YOU!!!!! <3
checking work.PNG
How many ways can you arrange the letters BASKETBALL if:

a) the arrangement must begin with an S and end with a T?

b) all of the vowels must be kept together?

Hello all, I've tried doing this question that I've listed below. I started and finished part a, but im unsure if i have the correct answer. I am also unsure how to begin part b so if someone could help i would appreciate it! :) The question is listed below. THANK YOU!!!!! <3
View attachment 33422

Why don't you write BASKETBALL instead of using numbers like I've done? Also there is repetition because you have 2 LL in basketball.

EDIT: I forgot you have 2 BB as well. So 4 repetition in total.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 2
For a)
Account for the repeats of BB, LL, AA by dividing by 2!2!2!
For b)
Take all the vowels together as a single letter (of which there are 3 possibilities), and see what words you can make with these 8 letters.

View attachment 33422

We can restate the first problem: How many ways can you arrange the letters BAKEBALL? (or BBAALLKE)

We have two Bs, two As, and two Ls, so you can't just think of it as arranging 8 distinct letters, as you are doing.

Have you learned a formula or method for solving that sort of problem, where the letters to be arranged include duplicates?