Please help!!

Monkeymath5

If your current grade in the class is 92% and your average grade on labs is 10 points, what will your new current grade be if you just had a lab where you received a grade of 10 points? (Labs are worth 15% of the final grade)

If your current grade in the class is 92% and your average grade on labs is 10 points, what will your new current grade be if you just had a lab where you received a grade of 10 points? (Labs are worth 15% of the final grade)
Please follow the instructions given here and in the longer page it refers to:

In particular, you should use a helpful title, show work or ask specific questions so we know what help you need, and don't double-post. Wait patiently for moderation, after which your question shows up.

There is a question I would be asking if I were you, but it disappears if you try to do the work, or just think a little longer.

Sorry for that, I was just stressing. I thought about this question a lot and got no answer. I was just looking for help but didn’t take the right precautions. Thanks
Please follow the instructions given here and in the longer page it refers to:

In particular, you should use a helpful title, show work or ask specific questions so we know what help you need, and don't double-post. Wait patiently for moderation, after which your question shows up.

There is a question I would be asking if I were you, but it disappears if you try to do the work, or just think a little longer.

Sorry for that, I was just stressing. I thought about this question a lot and got no answer. I was just looking for help but didn’t take the right precautions. Thanks

So, have you got the answer now? Where did you have difficulty? Do you see how unexpectedly easy it is, and how close "easy" can be to "impossible"?

I just don’t know how to solve the question. I’m having difficulty with the whole thing.

I just don’t know how to solve the question. I’m having difficulty with the whole thing.

Please tell me something about your thoughts! You must have some ideas. We work by taking your ideas and helping you with them, even if they're wrong.

I'll tell you my initial thoughts: Having solved problems like this before, I thought there was not enough information, because we aren't told how many labs you've already had, and a new grade's effect depends on things like that. Without enough information, it would be impossible. And I thought you might have tried writing an equation and found that there was something you couldn't fill in.

But then I realized it's very easy, because the information we have is unusual. Think about it: "your average grade on labs is 10 points ... you just had a lab where you received a grade of 10 points". How will that affect your lab average? How will that in turn affect your overall grade?

I don’t think that the average will decrease, I think the average would increase. Since labs are worth 15% percent my guess is that the average would change 1 percent ( 92 would be a 93%) however, I’m not sure of this is correct nor do I know how to find the answer. This is my estimate.

I don’t think that the average will decrease, I think the average would increase. Since labs are worth 15% percent my guess is that the average would change 1 percent ( 92 would be a 93%) however, I’m not sure of this is correct nor do I know how to find the answer. This is my estimate.
Let's not guess.

But before you actually solve the problem, let's take an example. Suppose I have grades of 5, 12, and 7, whose average is 8. Now I add in a fourth number, 8. What is the new average? Why is that?

The new average is 8. This is because in order to find the average you must add up all the grades and divide them by the amount of grades there are. Ex. 5+12+7+8/ 4= 8

You are correct that the average is still 8.
You have an average of 10 on your labs and then you get another 10 on your next lab. What will your new average be?

Now that you know your lab average, how do you compute your overall average?

The lab average would be 10. I’m not sure how to compute the overall average would I multiply 92 by .10?

Why would you multiply your 92 average by .10?
The overall average is 85% of your in-class average plus 15% of your lab average.

Is that the final average then or are there other steps?
I did not check your multiplication but it looks fine.
Yes, that answer of 79.7 is the final average.
The student did terribly on their labs, only having a 10% average. That brought down their 92 average but not so much because the lab grades were only 15% of the entire grade.

What could the highest grade a student could get if they missed all their labs?
What could the highest grade be if a student missed all their exams?

After rereading the problem I realize that there is a flaw with this problem.
The work that you did assumed that the 10 points on the lab was out of 100 points. That is you got 10% on each lab.
This might that be true! Maybe the labs were out of 10 points. So if you got 10 points out of 10 points then you had 100% on each lab. Or maybe the labs were out of 20 points. Now 10 out of 20 is 50%.
So this problem can not be done.

Assuming that 10 points meant 10%, then you did learn something from this exercise.

Can you try to do it again assuming that the student got 10 out of 10 on each lab, ie they got 100% on each lab?

After rereading the problem I realize that there is a flaw with this problem.
The work that you did assumed that the 10 points on the lab was out of 100 points. That is you got 10% on each lab.
This might that be true! Maybe the labs were out of 10 points. So if you got 10 points out of 10 points then you had 100% on each lab. Or maybe the labs were out of 20 points. Now 10 out of 20 is 50%.
So this problem can not be done.

Assuming that 10 points meant 10%, then you did learn something from this exercise.

Can you try to do it again assuming that the student got 10 out of 10 on each lab, ie they got 100% on each lab?
This is why the guidelines ask for a complete and exact statement of the problem. A high percentage of the time students cannot solve the problem because they do not fully understand the problem. Consequently their summary of the problem is flawed.