PLEASE HELP ?

ButterflyEma

Peter have been buying each day same number of bags of stickers. In each bag there is 6 stickers. Whats the minimum number of stickers that Peter can buy if there will be 10% of duplicates?

Sorry for my English, hope its understandable

Thank you in advance for your help :)

Peter have been buying each day same number of bags of stickers. In each bag there is 6 stickers. Whats the minimum number of stickers that Peter can buy if there will be 10% of duplicates?

Sorry for my English, hope its understandable

Thank you in advance for your help :)
Hi Ema,

Based on what you have said (in your translation) I suspect there may be some important information missing.

For example: Are there only 6 different kinds of sticker available?
And will each bag contain 6 different stickers or might there be ‘duplicates’ in each bag?

Can you post the original question you were given? (A picture will do.) It shouldn’t matter that this is not in English; someone here should be able to figure it out. ?

There shouldnt be duplicates in one bag. I can send original text but basicly says the same. Thank you for quick reply

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
There shouldnt be duplicates in one bag. I can send original text but basicly says the same. Thank you for quick reply
Please do send the "original text" if you can. Even 'cleaned up' your picture (see attached) isn't easy to decipher and I (for one) have no knowledge of any of the languages using Cyrillic scripts but Google translate may help if I can paste the "original text" straight into it.

Your confirmation that there are no duplicates in any bag only addresses one of my points; are there only 6 different stickers available? If so, Peter only needs to buy 12 stickers (ie: 2 bags) for there to be (more than) 10% of duplicates; I would leave it up to you to explain that.

Attachments

• 30497-8dece1be4945f142719035f33dd0b8ad.jpg
    30497-8dece1be4945f142719035f33dd0b8ad.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited by a moderator:
I just saved, rotated and was about to post the image but was beaten by TheHighlander.

It’s Serbian, not Russian ?

I checked and nothing more is written than what I already wrote. Maybe there is a mistake in text - maybe missing information. But this is official workbook for high school admission, so I’m not sure.

It’s Serbian, not Russian ?

I checked and nothing more is written than what I already wrote. Maybe there is a mistake in text - maybe missing information. But this is official workbook for high school admission, so I’m not sure.
We (later) noted your IP was Serbian. ??
I don't suppose the 'book' comes with any answers provided (eg: my suggestion of "12 stickers" (2 'bags') wasn't confirmed anywhere)?
Can you post the original text (in Serbian) anyway, please?
(Just to humour me. ?)

We (later) noted your IP was Serbian. ??
I don't suppose the 'book' comes with any answers provided (eg: my suggestion of "12 stickers" (2 'bags') wasn't confirmed anywhere)?
Can you post the original text (in Serbian) anyway, please?
(Just to humour me. ?)
S/he had posted this above:

1655926139805.png

I do not think Google can read that!!

...I can't even read it (and it is not because it is not in English)

S/he had posted this above:

View attachment 33192

I do not think Google can read that!!
That is why I asked her/him to post the original "text".
I got the (very definite) impression from the OP's post (#3) that s/he was able to do exactly that.

...I can't even read it (and it is not because it is not in English)

The original "text" could then be subjected to (a variety of) translation engines.

Here it is ?

The answer is 35, but I dont know how ?

Attachments

• 45D2A73D-A3BC-4229-BEF2-075F14378DC8.jpeg
    45D2A73D-A3BC-4229-BEF2-075F14378DC8.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
Here it is ?

The answer is 35, but I dont know how ?
Well, given the problem as you originally stated it (in your "translation"), that answer cannot be correct!
Since Peter is buying "
bags" (each containing six stickers), then he would have to buy 36 stickers (in order to get 35)!

Thank you for your much better picture (I'm sure @Steven G might now be able to "
read" it, even if he still can't understand it! ?) but it is still "double Dutch" (single Serbian? ?) to me, I'm afraid. ?

My reading of your post
#3 (qv) was that you could send the original "text" (not a picture of it). I interpreted it that way because you already included a picture in that post so it seemed a reasonable presumption that you meant you could send the actual "text", if required/desired.?

Are you not able/willing to type out the (complete) text of the problem in its original Serbian Cyrillic font (for me)?
(Didn't you type it out already to plug into Google Translate (or similar translation engine) or did you translate it yourself based on your own knowledge of English/Serbian?)

Last edited:
Oh ok - of course, here is the text in Serbian ( in Latin)

Strahinja je prethodnih sedam dana, svakog dana kupovao isti broj kesica sa sličicama za album. U svakoj kesici ima po 6 sličica. Medju tim sličicama je bilo 10% duplikata. Koliko je najmanje kesica Strahinja mogao da kupi u prethodnih 7 dana?

that’s all ?

Thanks for providing this; here is what I get from Google:

For the past seven days, Strahinja has been buying the same number of bags with pictures for the album every day. There are 6 pictures in each bag. Among these thumbnails were 10% duplicates. How many bags of Strahinja could he buy in the previous 7 days?​

I suspect there is at least one error there, as Strahinja is not in bags.

Here is your original translation:

Peter have been buying each day same number of bags of stickers. In each bag there is 6 stickers. Whats the minimum number of stickers that Peter can buy if there will be 10% of duplicates?​

Their grammar is a little better, and some different terms are used; but the important difference is that the question is not the same. You said it was about how many stickers he must buy; the original is about how many bags to buy over 7 days. You implied that the (future) goal is to have 10% duplicates; the original makes that an observation (of the past). Finally, they don't use any word like "minimum".

But now we can at least try to look at the math!

Unfortunately, it is still not at all clear what the problem is asking.

My understanding is that each bag contains 6 stickers (also called pictures or thumbnails), each different; and each day he buys some fixed number n of bags. It is observed that 10% of the stickers are duplicates, which I take to mean that out of x stickers, there are only 0.9x distinct stickers. But is that an observation for one day, or an average (expected value?), or the total of the seven days? Further, as stated, I take it to be a probability problem, in which case there would not be a definite answer. You called it beginning algebra, so we presumably have to interpret it "deterministically" -- that is, in a way that has a definite answer.

The only way I see to do so is to suppose that the 10% must be exact, so that the total number of stickers for the week must be a multiple of 10. That would make the problem easy (once you get past the barrier of interpretation).

In any case, I certainly don't like the problem.

(Incidentally, I've seen a number of problems in Serbian recently; Google on my computer doesn't do image translation, to my knowledge, and another site I've used doesn't happen to handle Serbian. But in one case it mattered enough to me that I used Google Translate on my phone, which I usually don't use for math stuff. I haven't tried that in this case.)

We're not sure about the exact wording of the problem, but I suspect that this might be helpful...

If a is exactly 25% of b, where both a and b are integers, then:-

\(\displaystyle \frac{a}{b}=25\%\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{a}{b}=\frac{25}{100}\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{a}{b}=\frac{1}{4}\)

Possible solutions include {a,b} = {1, 4}, {2, 8}, {3, 12}, ...
Note that b ≠ 0