Polynomial and Sinusoidal Funcitons

jeje23

A projectile launched into the air can be modelled by the function h(t) =-4.9t^(2) + 4.1t + 8.2 where h(t) represents the height of the projectile above the ground, in meters, t seconds after it was launched. What time is the projectile at a height of 3 meters?

I have it solved using quadratic formula, but just need to know if I divide my answer by 3 since it is 3t = .... thank you for the help

You have some misunderstanding here. You do not have 3t as you stated above, you have h(t) = 3. Also, I am assuming that "I have it solved using quadratic formula" means that you solved the equation 0 = -4.9t^(2) + 4.1t + 8.2. So what you found was the height of the projectile at t = 0. Understand the meaning of this phrase: h(t) represents the height of the projectile. This means that for a particular time, h(t) is the height at that particular time. So given a height of 3 meters, i.e., h(t), find the corresponding value of t. You want to solve h(t) = 3, NOT h(t) = 0 as you originally did.

There is NO "3t" any where in this problem!

You are given that h= -4.9t^2+ 4.1t+ 8.2 and are asked when h= 3. Replacing h by 3 in the first equation, 3= -4.9t^2+ 4.1t+ 8.2.

Subtracting3 from both sides, 0= -4.9t^2+ 4.1t+ 5.2. That is the quadratic equation you want to solve.

You have some misunderstanding here. You do not have 3t as you stated above, you have h(t) = 3. Also, I am assuming that "I have it solved using quadratic formula" means that you solved the equation 0 = -4.9t^(2) + 4.1t + 8.2. So what you found was the height of the projectile at t = 0. Understand the meaning of this phrase: h(t) represents the height of the projectile. This means that for a particular time, h(t) is the height at that particular time. So given a height of 3 meters, i.e., h(t), find the corresponding value of t. You want to solve h(t) = 3, NOT h(t) = 0 as you originally did.
Hold on here. What is in red is not true at all. Solving the quadratic equation 0 = -4.9t^(2) + 4.1t + 8.2 using any method tells you the value of t when the height is 0, not the other way around. Clearly h(0) = 8.2, not 0
You generally write excellent posts and I am glad that you are still hanging around but like everyone else here has done, you made a mistake.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your responses. I understand the question much better now, and your feedback has helped me answer further similar questions.

Hold on here. What is in red is not true at all. Solving the quadratic equation 0 = -4.9t^(2) + 4.1t + 8.2 using any method tells you the value of t when the height is 0, not the other way around. Clearly h(0) = 8.2, not 0
You generally write excellent posts and I am glad that you are still hanging around but like everyone else here has done, you made a mistake.

*smacking head* Two notes to self: don't make any more posts before caffeinating yourself in the morning, and don't click 'post' before re-reading what you just typed. Good lord was that a major blunder.....and from a 19.5 year teaching veteran no less.