problem solving

pboston97

Poker game-- I let n= no nickels, d= no dimes, q= no quarters, and b= no of dollar bills
Brandt was dealing a poker game with nickels, dimes, quarters, and dollar bills in the pot. He noticed there were a total of 97 coins in the pot. The number of quarters was 3 less than four times the number of dimes. The number of dollar bills was 8 more than the number of quarters. There was a total in the pot. How many dollar bills were there?

Poker game-- I let n= no nickels, d= no dimes, q= no quarters, and b= no of dollar bills
Brandt was dealing a poker game with nickels, dimes, quarters, and dollar bills in the pot. He noticed there were a total of 97 coins in the pot. The number of quarters was 3 less than four times the number of dimes. The number of dollar bills was 8 more than the number of quarters. There was a total in the pot. How many dollar bills were there?

Is that sentence complete?

Great start - now translate the given conditions into mathematical statements.
Condition -1:
a total of 97 coins in the pot \(\displaystyle \ \to \ \ \) n + d + q = 97 ..............................(1) ................................. [edited]​
Condition -2:
number of quarters was 3 less than four times the number of dimes\(\displaystyle \ \to \ \ \)q = 4*d - 3 ..............................(2)​

continue......

Last edited by a moderator:
So we can plug (4*d - 3) for q but how do I proceed to solve for B?
n + d + (4*d - 3) + b = 97

So we can plug (4*d - 3) for q but how do I proceed to solve for B?
n + d + (4*d - 3) + b = 97
Don't worry about "plugging" yet! Translate the other given conditions into mathematical statements first.

Great start - now translate the given conditions into mathematical statements.
Condition -1:
a total of 97 coins in the pot \(\displaystyle \ \to \ \ \) n + d + q + b = 97 ..............................(1)​
Condition -2:
number of quarters was 3 less than four times the number of dimes\(\displaystyle \ \to \ \ \)q = 4*d - 3 ..............................(2););););)

continue......
Is Q the same as q? If so, then please state this next time.

Now write down all the equations. Then see if you can solve this system.

I can't solve the system with n involved as there are no conditions, Ive seen the conditions. (*ALSO Q is the same as q sorry for confusion above)
n + d + q = 97 ............................................ [edited]
and
q = 4*d - 3
and
b=q+8
Can anyone help me make any progress in solving I am stuck.......

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to repeat the question asked in post #2 ... was a numerical total of money in the pot given?

I can't solve the system with n involved as there are no conditions, Ive seen the conditions. (*ALSO Q is the same as q sorry for confusion above)
n + d + q = 97 ............................................ [edited]
and
q = 4*d - 3
and
b=q+8
Can anyone help me make any progress in solving I am stuck.......
You have a condition on n. For example n = 97 -d - q.
What you need is to list that last statement that was already asked of you. How much money was in the pot?You wrote that There was a total in the pot but failed to say how much!

I am requesting someone show me a walk through of steps on this problem. I have written out all conditions
n = 97 -d - q
and
n + d + q = 97
and
q = 4*d - 3
and
b=q+8
Please help I am stuck and have been stuck on this problem for a while