Product Principle

frau_taylan

Hi, I don't understand the solution of c which is 63. Can anybody explain it to me?

A lunchtime menu at a restaurant offers 5 starters, 6 main courses and 3 desserts. How many different choices of meal can you make if you would like
(a) a starter, a main course and a dessert?
(b) a main course and either a starter or a dessert?
(c) any two different courses?

the solution of c which is 63
Hi Frau Taylan. The answer "63" looks like a mistake. Also, question (c) is ambiguous because they typed 'courses' without an adjective.

Are they asking for the number of pairs formed from six main courses?

Are they asking for the number of pairs formed from 14 total courses (starter courses + main courses + dessert courses)?

Something else?

In any event, I don't get 63 for any interpretation of question (c) that I thought of.

How do you interpret the question? What answer did you get? Can you share your work? Thank you!

:)

[imath]\;[/imath]

It seems like " any two courses" is referring the following combinations:
1) Starters + Main Courses
2) Starters + Desserts
3) Main Courses + Desserts

Essentially,
1) How many "courses" do you get combining starters and main courses?
2) How many "courses" do you get combining starters and desserts?
3) How many "courses" do you get combining main courses and desserts?

The sum of these will give you the answer to "any two courses".

Now, I understand the solution. Many thanks. But, the language of problem is a little bit ambiguous as @Otis said. Is not it?

Hi, I don't understand the solution of c which is 63. Can anybody explain it to me?

A lunchtime menu at a restaurant offers 5 starters, 6 main courses and 3 desserts. How many different choices of meal can you make if you would like
(a) a starter, a main course and a dessert?
(b) a main course and either a starter or a dessert?
(c) any two different courses?
I think that your confusion may result from vocabulary.
It is not clear what "courses" mean in part (c).
If we read it as "one starter & one main; one starter & one dessert; or one main & one dessert,
then we get [imath](5)(6)+(5)(3)+(6)(3)=63[/imath].

[imath][/imath]

Hi Frau Taylan. The answer "63" looks like a mistake. Also, question (c) is ambiguous because they typed 'courses' without an adjective.

Are they asking for the number of pairs formed from six main courses?

Are they asking for the number of pairs formed from 14 total courses (starter courses + main courses + dessert courses)?

Something else?

In any event, I don't get 63 for any interpretation of question (c) that I thought of.

How do you interpret the question? What answer did you get? Can you share your work? Thank you!

:)

[imath]\;[/imath]
I am thinking the same. The c option is a little bit ambiguous. But thanks to @BigBeachBanana I solved it. And I am explaining my approach: 5, 6 ,3 and their combinations in two types (5.6) + (5.3) + (6.3) = 30 + 15 + 18 = 63