Proof of existence of the limit of multi-variable function

RunnyEGGY

Hello people, this is my first post, so please forgive me for a potential breach of etiquette.

I'm having trouble understanding the proof that is used in the textbook I am given. Please forgive me for copying only certain parts of my textbook, since the text is in German.

so we have this function of two variables, x_1 and x_2

1588649614940.png

the point ( 0, 0 ) is obviously not defined, because that would result the denominator being equal to zero. The textbook then says that we can show that the " limit exists ".

Because of
1588649859527.png (I)
the following is also true

1588649911886.png (II)

with the term d( x , 0 ) converging to zero, that means f( x1 , x2 ) also converges to zero.

And so, the limit of the function f (with x going to zero) is equals to zero.

My problems understanding this proof:

(I) ist quite easy to understand, as the sum of squared numbers will always result in positive numbers.

However, I don't really do not understand the significance of (II). How can they even be sure, that the value of x1 is larger than that of the function itself. What does d( x , 0 ) even mean, and how does that relate to the value of the function.

Thank you for your answers

Attachments

• 1588650064669.png
    1588650064669.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 0
For those of you who want to have a look at the original textbook page, I'm going to post it here.
1588650986462.png

Hello people, this is my first post, so please forgive me for a potential breach of etiquette.

I'm having trouble understanding the proof that is used in the textbook I am given. Please forgive me for copying only certain parts of my textbook, since the text is in German.
so we have this function of two variables, x_1 and x_2
View attachment 18478
the point ( 0, 0 ) is obviously not defined, because that would result the denominator being equal to zero. The textbook then says that we can show that the " limit exists ".
Because of
View attachment 18479 (I)
the following is also true
View attachment 18480 (II)
with the term d( x , 0 ) converging to zero, that means f( x1 , x2 ) also converges to zero.
And so, the limit of the function f (with x going to zero) is equals to zero.
My problems understanding this proof:
(I) ist quite easy to understand, as the sum of squared numbers will always result in positive numbers.
However, I don't really do not understand the significance of (II). How can they even be sure, that the value of x1 is larger than that of the function itself. What does d( x , 0 ) even mean, and how does that relate to the value of the function.

Thank you for your answers
\(\displaystyle f(x_1,x_2) \ = \ x_1\frac{x_1^2}{x_1^2+x_2^2}\)

\(\displaystyle f(x_1,x_2) \ = \ x_1\frac{1}{1 + \frac{x_2^2}{x_1^2}}\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{1 + \frac{x_2^2}{x_1^2}} \lt 1\)

Hence

\(\displaystyle |f(x_1,x_2)| \ \lt \ |x_1|\)

Thank you very much! Just modifying the function by dividing the terms with x22 makes finding the limit much easier!

That really shouldn't have helped that much. A fraction (with positive numbers) is less than 1 when the denominator is larger than the numerator.

Staying away from 0: x12 + x22 > x12. Therefore x12 / (x12 + x22) < 1