Prove A is invertible iff A^T is invertible and, in that case, (A^{-1})^T = (A^T)^{-1}

DJKHALID$

Linear algebra is killing me...please help!!!!

4. Recall from lectures that if [imath]A[/imath] and [imath]B[/imath] are matrices with [imath]AB[/imath] defined, then [imath](AB)^T = B^T A^T[/imath]. Use this property to prove that [imath]A[/imath] is invertible if and only if [imath]A^T[/imath] is invertible and, in that case, [imath](A^{-1})^T = (A^T)^{-1}[/imath].

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-10-17 at 8.46.06 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-17 at 8.46.06 pm.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited by a moderator:
4. Recall from lectures that if [imath]A[/imath] and [imath]B[/imath] are matrices with [imath]AB[/imath] defined, then [imath](AB)^T = B^T A^T[/imath]. Use this property to prove that [imath]A[/imath] is invertible if and only if [imath]A^T[/imath] is invertible and, in that case, [imath](A^{-1})^T = (A^T)^{-1}[/imath]

Please reply with a clear listing of your thoughts and efforts so far, so that we may begin working with you. (Read Before Posting)

Thank you!

I would first try using the hint with B = A-1
So I = IT = (A*A-1)T.... now you continue.

Use the fact that if C*D = I, then D = C-1

4. Recall from lectures that if [imath]A[/imath] and [imath]B[/imath] are matrices with [imath]AB[/imath] defined, then [imath](AB)^T = B^T A^T[/imath]. Use this property to prove that [imath]A[/imath] is invertible if and only if [imath]A^T[/imath] is invertible and, in that case, [imath](A^{-1})^T = (A^T)^{-1}[/imath].
I don't see linear algebra killing you: you haven't shown any effort yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
...and that is the property that you use to prove the theorem.
Can we please see your proof?
I started my proof, but you don't see how to finish it? I'll message the whole proof to you if you like.

How can you say that the author suggesting that you use a particular theorem to prove a fact is not a hint?