Q on hyperbolic equation

Sonal7

The question is about a rectangular hyperbola xy=c 2
The general point (ct, [MATH]\frac{c}{t}[/MATH])
What is the value of t at point (-2,8)? This is the first part and this confused me.
I am unsure how to find t by rearranging ct and [MATH]\frac{c}{t}[/MATH], the equating the two expression for t.
my working is as below:
ct = -2
hence c=[MATH]\frac{-2}{t}[/MATH][MATH]\frac{c}{t}[/MATH]=8
hence c=8t
equating the two equations:
[MATH]\frac{-2}{t}=8t[/MATH]t2=-1/4
now what do i do? I know the answer is wrong as the question wants you to give the answer as a whole number of a fraction expressed as p/q.

EDIT: I have the correct answer, now. It turns out that the co-ordinate is meant to be (-2,-8) in the solutions. I would have been right if they hadn't made so many mistakes.

[MATH] c t = -2\\ \dfrac c t = 8\\ c = 8t\\ 8t^2 = -2\\ t = \pm \dfrac i 2\\ c = \pm 4i [/MATH]
Are you sure there was a negative sign?

Yes but I graphed the xy when either is negative and this causes a problem, as c2 is suppose to be positive. I am doing some work around this. I dont think we are expected to give an imaginary number as an answer.

Please state the entire problem as given to you. This includes everything it says about the expected form of the answer, and conditions such as whether c is assumed to be real.

It could just be a mistake on their part, but we can't say that without seeing the entire thing (ideally as an image).

1583875881573.png
Please note the answers have been amended, it not how i entered them. I am working through these the second time!

I got the first bit right.
1583876610617.png
I just thought of it graphically and I thought it might be -1/2 based on the quadrant the curve is in. I think as c is meant to be positive, then t must be -1/2.
I am now stuck on (c). I cannot figure out where I am going wrong.

This part is a good question, the quation is about finding the equation of the normal at (2x, 1/2c). This immediately gives us the value of t as
we know y is [MATH]\frac{c}{t}[/MATH]Now we have
[MATH]ct=2x[/MATH][MATH]2c=2x[/MATH]This means x =c

the derivate of y is -c2/x2
so the gradient of normal is x2/c2
so now we have
y-1/2 c= x2/c2(x-2x)
hence y-1/2c =1 (x-2x)
this give y =-x+1/2c
its the wrong answer! Please help.

Last edited:
[MATH] c t = -2\\ \dfrac c t = 8\\ c = 8t\\ 8t^2 = -2\\ t = \pm \dfrac i 2\\ c = \pm 4i [/MATH]
Are you sure there was a negative sign?
Yes it turns out that the co-ordinate is meant to be (-2,-8) in the solutions. I had to pass the test to get to the solutions which i did in the end. I would have been right if they hadnt made so many mistakes. I am going to close this discussion so that people dont waste their time spotting errors.