quadratics: vertex, zeroes, symmetry, graphing, etc

sissylokey

I went on Spring Break, and I missed four days of school. We started Quadratic Equations the day I left and now my teacher expects me to know how to do them. She didn't even show me how to do it. So, here I am not knowing how to do the Quadratic Equations, and yet she expects me to do the work.

This is a problem on the homework, if someone could solve the first one for me and explain each step so I could understand it, I would be VERY grateful.

1. y=x^2+x-6

There are some boxes that I think are asking questions or I dunno...
VVV
VV
V
Graph Opens---???
Axis of Symmetry---???
Vertex---???
Table of Values---???
Zeros---???
And then Graph....

I would really appreciate some help on this. Thanks for any suggestions!!

sissylokey said:
I went on Spring Break, and I missed four days of school. ...my teacher expects me to know how to do them. She didn't even show me how to do it...and yet she expects me to do the work.
If you want to blow off classes to party, that's fine, but, yes, you will generally be expected to make up the material on your own.

Personal responsibility: a down-side (apparently) of being "a big kid". :?

Eliz.

stapel said:
If you want to blow off classes to party
There was no party, I didn't "cut class" or "skip" My grandmother had to book the flights Thursday, because the weekends were completely booked.
I had no other choice and I couldn't have missed the flight.

Now regarding the math---

I looked over the purple math page, and I don't completely understand Graph Opens or Zero's...

y=ax^2+bx+c

(thats--SquareRoot)
-b+|b^2-4ac
x=----------------
2a

Which of those above would work best in this problem?
Should I try to find a-b-c them fill in for them?

y=x^2+x-6

A=x^2 B=x c=6

So then
(SR)
-x+|x^2-4*a*c
x=------------------
2x^2
I'm not sure if I am doing this correctly or not...

I'll stop it here and if it is correct then, I'll keep going...

sissylokey said:
I went on Spring Break, and I missed four days of school.
Now why would anyone do that!
Doing that puts oneself behind.
Being behind means failure.
Was Sping Break worth that?

stapel said:
If you want to blow off classes to party
sissylokey said:
There was no party, I didn't "cut class" or "skip" My grandmother had to book the flights Thursday, because the weekends were completely booked.
My apologies. When you said "Spring Break", I assumed you meant Spring Break, not a family event.

sissylokey said:
I don't completely understand Graph Opens or Zero's.
The "zeroes" are simply the solutions. Set the quadratic function equal to zero, and solve, by whatever method you prefer.

The Quadratic Formula is just that: a formula. Plug the numbers into it, and simplify. In this case, however, factoring would probably be quicker. (Since the topics you mention would generally take at least a week to cover, then factoring should have been covered before you left town. So just apply what you learned back then.)

I'm afraid the multi-line formatting isn't working, so I can't really comment on that. You might want to try single-line formatting, like "x = (-b +/- sqrt[b^2 - 4ac]) / (2a)", or else use "code" tags to force the spacing to go the way you want.

As for explaining every step in the solution process, that would, of course, require lessons, something we cannot reasonably provide within this environment. If online lessons aren't proving sufficient, then you might want to hire a tutor. By working with him every day, you should be able to catch up in about a week.

My best wishes to you.

Eliz.

Ok... So...

This is gonna be really hard trying to catch up.

Anyways thanks for the advice.