Question 24

Leodis80

Hi, Please could somebody walk me through how to solve the following question (Exercise 14.3 Question 24) in the 'Algebra: A complete introduction' book by Hugh Neil.

Given (P - 1/2Q) = b(Q - 1/2P), rearrange the terms so as to express P in terms of the other quantities.

I've had a few goes, however I can't get near the answer given in the back of the book which is P=2b+1 over 2+b then multiplied by Q (apologies, I haven't worked out how to display fractions)

Thanks in advance,

M

If you post a photo of your work we can have a look at it.
(I would multiply out the bracket on the right for starters, and then multiply the whole equation by 2, so it's easier to work with).

Hi, thanks for your replies. I've tried Lex's suggestion, however I am still stuck. I've attached a pic of what I have done so far and hopefully somebody could point out where I am going wrong please? Many thanks. M

Attachments

• Notes_220217_173536.pdf
    198.5 KB · Views: 6
Hi, thanks for your replies. I've tried Lex's suggestion, however I am still stuck. I've attached a pic of what I have done so far and hopefully somebody could point out where I am going wrong please? Many thanks. M
Please check the third line of your work.

Please tell me - exactly what are you trying to do there.

In other words, in my opinion, the third line does not follow from the 2 nd line.

[math]\left(P - \frac{1}{2}Q\right) = b\left(Q - \frac{1}{2}P\right)\\ \text{Following Lex's suggestion, multiply the equation by 2:}\\ \blue{2}\left(P - \frac{1}{2}Q\right) = \blue{2}b\left(Q - \frac{1}{2}P\right)\\[/math]Now, continue by distribute the 2 using the distributive property.

Thanks for your reply. I've had another go and still can't get it. I've attached another note with what I did step by step.

Attachments

• Notes_220217_173536-1_220217_185542.pdf
    255.7 KB · Views: 4
bQ+b is not b(2Q)

Is 3*4 +3 = 3(2*4)?? Note that I am using 3 for b and 4 for Q.

Hi, thanks for all your replies. Unfortunately I'm still not getting anywhere with this. I've been doing really well with the book up until now and whenever I've become stuck I have managed to get there in the end. I know this is a big ask but is there any chance somebody could post a pdf or word doc that shows me line by line how to get the solution please? Thanks for all your help. M

1645133342579.png
You have made a mistake multiplying out the bracket on the right hand side in the line marked above.

[imath]\hspace20ex 2b(Q-\tfrac{1}{2}P) \text{ means }2b(Q)-2b(\tfrac{1}{2}P)[/imath]
[imath]\hspace40ex = 2bQ-bP[/imath]
So the complete line should read:
[imath]2P - Q = 2bQ - bP[/imath]

Then you don't seem to know the procedure for getting P=...
You must have all terms with P, on the left and all terms without P, on the right.
Therefore there are 2 terms on the wrong side:
[imath]2P \boxed{-Q} = 2bQ \boxed{-bP}[/imath]
You have dealt with -Q, but not with -bP

Try to fix that first.
Do you then know how to get P=...?

Hi everybody. I think I have solved it. Please see attached. Thank you all so much for you patience as I was getting close to throwing in the towel!!!

Attachments

• Notes_220217_230124.pdf
    301.2 KB · Views: 7
Hi everybody. I think I have solved it. Please see attached. Thank you all so much for you patience as I was getting close to throwing in the towel!!!
You have done it - it took a bit of time but you got it !!!

I have to tell you that your presentation is super-excellent. The letters and groups are nicely spaced. The consecutive lines are parallel and nicely spaced - ad you patience to take advice, implement and finish it.....

Very nice work...

You have done it. Well done!
(It should be noted that for this expression, you need [imath]b\not =-2[/imath]).