Question about differential order of operations/properties

i was looking at the question: x/(sqrt1 - x^2).

Normally i would think you need to use quotient property of differentials first then find the derivatives of the bottom term using the chain rule.

Could you split the original fraction into x/1 by 1/(sqrt1-x^2) and use the product rule for derivatives?

I attached a photo of what i would assume is the exact same function, would the derivatives be the same? im still having trouble with depravities so im not confident in myself solving both and being sure of the answers.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-03 124254.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-03 124254.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 4

Normally i would think you need to use quotient property of differentials first then find the derivatives of the bottom term using the chain rule.

Could you split the original fraction into x/1 by 1/(sqrt1-x^2) and use the product rule for derivatives?

I attached a photo of what i would assume is the exact same function, would the derivatives be the same? im still having trouble with depravities so im not confident in myself solving both and being sure of the answers.
Yes, you should get the same result (that is, equivalent -- they might not look the same) whether you think of it as x/sqrt(1 - x^2) or as x/1 * 1/sqrt(1-x^2). I often rewrite simple quotients as products with negative exponents to make the work simpler.

Please show us your attempts at both methods, so we can see if you are making any mistakes. (I assume your "depravities" are really just derivatives.)

Have you tried trigonometric substitution?

I recommend substituting [imath]u = 1-x^2[/imath].

As I understand it, the question here is about how to find the derivative of [imath]\frac{x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/imath]. (Some of the answers look as if they were trying to find the integral, though I could be wrong.)

Since a week has passed, let's go ahead and do this in the two suggested ways, in case anyone else needs to see it.

By the quotient rule, [imath]\displaystyle\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{u}{v}\right)=\frac{\frac{du}{dx}v-u\frac{dv}{dx}}{v^2}[/imath], where [imath]u=x[/imath] and [imath]v=\sqrt{1-x^2}=(1-x^2)^{1/2}[/imath].

Then [imath]\frac{du}{dx}=1[/imath] and [imath]\displaystyle\frac{dv}{dx}=\frac{1}{2}(1-x^2)^{-1/2}(-2x)=\frac{-x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/imath].

So the derivative is [math]\frac{1\cdot\sqrt{1-x^2}-x\cdot\frac{-x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}}{\left(\sqrt{1-x^2}\right)^2}=\frac{\sqrt{1-x^2}+\frac{x^2}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}}{1-x^2}\\=\frac{\sqrt{1-x^2}\cdot\sqrt{1-x^2}+\frac{x^2}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\cdot\sqrt{1-x^2}}{\left(1-x^2\right)\cdot\sqrt{1-x^2}}=\frac{(1-x^2)+x^2}{\left(1-x^2\right)^{3/2}}\\=\frac{1}{\left(1-x^2\right)^{3/2}}[/math]
If we rewrite the function as [imath]x\cdot\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}=x\cdot(1-x^2)^{-1/2}[/imath], then by the product rule, [imath]\displaystyle\frac{d}{dx}\left(uv\right)=\frac{du}{dx}v+u\frac{dv}{dx}[/imath], where [imath]u=x[/imath] and [imath]v=(1-x^2)^{-1/2}[/imath], we get [imath]\frac{du}{dx}=1[/imath] and [imath]\frac{dv}{dx}=-\frac{1}{2}(1-x^2)^{-3/2}(-2x)=x(1-x^2)^{-3/2}[/imath].

Then the derivative is [math]1\cdot(1-x^2)^{-1/2}+x\cdot x(1-x^2)^{-3/2}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}+\frac{x^2}{\sqrt{1-x^2}^3}\\=\frac{1-x^2}{(1-x^2)\sqrt{1-x^2}}+\frac{x^2}{\sqrt{1-x^2}^3}=\frac{1-x^2}{(1-x^2)^{3/2}}+\frac{x^2}{\left(1-x^2\right)^{3/2}}\\=\frac{1-x^2+x^2}{\left(1-x^2\right)^{3/2}}=\frac{1}{\left(1-x^2\right)^{3/2}}[/math]
The answers are the same; I think the second way is a little easier in some way. That's especially true if you don't need to simplify the answer.