radical expression

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are many types of exercises that involve radical expressions.

We can help you with specific exercises only.

Please post the exercise for which you need help. Explain why you're confused, or tell us what you've considered or tried so far.

Also, read our posting guidelines (click HERE) for additional information on how to use our tutoring boards. Cheers. :cool:

PS: You may type square roots using this notation:

sqrt(9) = 3

sqrt(16/25) = 4/5

sqrt(9) + sqrt(16/25) = 19/5

etc

r(x)=108sqrt(x) to evaluate r(2)-r(1). if the salary for the second employee is $25, 000, is it a good decision to hire a second employee? i do not know how to start this let alone solve it.

Last edited:
Start by posting the entire exercise, word-for-word, exactly as you received it.

For example, you typed:

increasing productivity.

That is not a sentence. Please be complete. :cool:

college

we had to take a problem from our college reading, and solve it for the class, and i am not really sure how to do the steps to solve it. algebra is not something that i am good at.

we had to take a problem from our college reading, and solve it for the class, and i am not really sure how to do the steps to solve it. algebra is not something that i am good at.

An earlier poster asked that you type the ENTIRE problem, EXACTLY as it appears in your reading material/textbook. You haven't done that, and until you do, I think your chances of getting any "help" are not very good. Most of us do not like having to GUESS at what you're working on.

problem

Inthe northern states of the U.S.during the winter months, residents are concerned about the wind chillfactor. If the wind speeds are greaterthan 4 mph it feels colder than the actual temperature because the windenhances the loss of heat from the skin. The formula for finding the wind chill temperature is
where T is the actual temperature in Fahrenheit, and Vis the wind speed in miles per hour.

Your formula did not appear. You need to type it; pasting images or text files do not work.

Here is the current Wind Chill Temperature formula:

T = thermometer temperature (degrees Fahrenheit)

V = wind speed (miles per hour)

Wind-Chill Temp = 35.74 + 0.6215(T) - 35.75(V^0.16) + 0.4275(T)(V^0.16)

Does this look like what you're given?

Also, this exercise looks like it may be different from your original post. Did you finish with r(x)=108sqrt(x)?

For future reference, please start a new thread for each new exercise.

What is your question about the wind-chill exercise? :cool:

Last edited:
no what i posted was what i was given.

Well, your materials apparently lack the formula. Is this what you're trying to say? Maybe they wanted you to look it up. :idea:

(The formula that I posted for you is current as of November 2006 or something like that. I'm not sure what formula your exercise intended to supply, if any.)

What did they tell you to do with the missing formula? There is no question mark in the new exercise that you posted!!

Inthe northern states of the U.S.during the winter months, residents are concerned about the wind chillfactor. If the wind speeds are greaterthan 4 mph it feels colder than the actual temperature because the windenhances the loss of heat from the skin. The formula for finding the wind chill temperature is
where T is the actual temperature in Fahrenheit, and Vis the wind speed in miles per hour.

Last edited:
the math teacher gives use things that we have to make the eqaution for

It is not fair to ask beginning algebra students to make the formula for wind-chill index. It's too difficult. (I don't know how to do that, myself.)

What grade are you in? What sorts of topics is your math class studying right now?

math117 in college she changes every week that is why im confused radical expressions right now

Well, I cannot help you with the wind-chill index exercise. Something has gone terribly wrong with it.

Have you ever been asked to simplify something like this, using prime factorization?

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{3024}\)

How about a radical expression like this, simplifying using properties of exponents?

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{\dfrac{3x^2y^7}{15xy^4}}\)

These are the sorts of radical expression simplifications that I would expect from introductory algebra courses. :cool:

Okay -- if you have some exercises like that to talk about, we can help.

Please start a new thread for each new exercise.

Cheers :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.