Rational numbers

Loki123

Apparently X is a rational number if (90-5k)/12 is a whole number. WhyyIMG_20220407_092425.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you please rewrite the question exactly as it was given to you? It doesn't make sense as is!

Suppose (90-12w)/5 is a whole number. How can that influence what type of a number x can be?

Basically you are saying that you can only raise a rational number to a whole number. That is not true. Sqrt(2) is irrational and 2 is a whole number yet I can compute (sqrt2)2. That result is 2

Suppose (90-12w)/5 is a whole number. How can that influence what type of a number x can be?

Basically you are saying that you can only raise a rational number to a whole number. That is not true. Sqrt(2) is irrational and 2 is a whole number yet I can compute (sqrt2)2. That result is 2
Here is the whole problem. The part written bellow is the explanation I was given which I do not understand. Why does (90-5k)/12 have to be a whole number?
IMG_20220410_114432.jpg

Here is the whole problem. The part written bellow is the explanation I was given which I do not understand. Why does (90-5k)/12 have to be a whole number?
View attachment 32062
What's the domain of x? Positive real number? Positive integer?
If [imath]x \in \Z+[/imath], the answer is trivial.
If [imath]x \in \R+[/imath], then consider the irrational numbers like [imath]e[/imath] or [imath]\pi[/imath]. Is [imath]e^2[/imath] or [imath]\pi^2[/imath] a rational number?

Why does (90-5k)/12 have to be a whole number?
Frankly I have seen that as a requirement for exponents.
It may be a particular usage by your text/instructor.
In fact for every integer [imath]k[/imath] the expression [imath]\dfrac{90-5k}{12}[/imath] is rational.
But it is a whole number for only [imath]k=6[/imath] this expansion. SEE THIS. Also THIS

In fact for every integer [imath]k[/imath] the expression [imath]\dfrac{90-5k}{12}[/imath] is rational.
But it is a whole number for only [imath]k=6[/imath] this expansion. SEE THIS. Also THIS
Yes that is the next part, I did not write it since my problem is with the exponent having to be a whole number.

IMG_20220410_133829.jpg
Here is an example with actual numbers that I found which uses the same method.

Why would that be a requirement tho?

That should answer your question in the OP: Why whole number in the exponent gives you a rational number?
For positive integers,
[imath]\text{integer}^\text{integer}=\text{integer}[/imath], which is a rational number. For example, [imath]2^2=4[/imath].

If the exponent is not an integer, then the result may or may not be not an integer.
For example, [imath]2^{1/2}=\sqrt{2}[/imath] <- irrational
But [imath]4^{1/2}=2[/imath] <- rational

Incredible.

Loki has been asked repeatedly to give complete and exact questions as specified in the guidelines. He failed to do that in this case until post 10 and even then it is not quite right. He means “terms” rather than “members” and “expanded” rather than “developed.” I think we could cope with slight deficiencies in the mathematical vocabulary of English if he would just follow the rules and provide complete questions exactly as given.

The only things required to solve this problem are the binomial theorem and some basic knowledge about irrational numbers.

[math]y = (\sqrt[3]{3}+ \sqrt{2})^5 \implies \\ y = (\sqrt[3]{3})^5 + 5(\sqrt[3]{3})^4(\sqrt{2})+ 10(\sqrt[3]{3})^3(\sqrt{2})^2 + 10(\sqrt[3]{3})^2(\sqrt{2})^3 + 5(\sqrt[3]{3})(\sqrt{2})^4 + (\sqrt{2})^5 \implies\\ y = 9\sqrt[3]{3} + 45\sqrt{2} + 60 + 20(\sqrt[3]{3})^2(\sqrt{2}) + 20\sqrt[3]{3} + 4 \sqrt{2}. [/math]
Now what is the answer?