Ratios Help please

aman_shandil

Hi, I would appreciate if someone could please explain how to work this out;

1) On a map using a scale of 1:10 000 000, the worlds longest river, the Nile in Egypt is the length of an average shoe lace (66.7cm). How many kilometers long is the river Nile.

2) The town of Gilgandra is 66km north of Dubbo. On a map with a scale of 1: 100 000, what is the scaled distance between the 2 towns.

Thank you

Hi, I would appreciate if someone could please explain how to work this out;

1) On a map using a scale of 1:10 000 000, the worlds longest river, the Nile in Egypt is the length of an average shoe lace (66.7cm). How many kilometers long is the river Nile.

2) The town of Gilgandra is 66km north of Dubbo. On a map with a scale of 1: 100 000, what is the scaled distance between the 2 towns.

Thank you
Please tell us -

What does using a scale of 1:10 000 000 means?​

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem

Please tell us -

What does using a scale of 1:10 000 000 means?​

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem
Hi, I have written the question exactly it was put to me in the exercise set. I am stuck as i dont know where to begin. Apologies if I have broken any rules as I wasn't I broke any

A scale of 1:10000000 means that anything on the map that is 1cm in length represents something that is 10000000cm in real life.
Divide that figure by 1000 if you want to convert in kilometers.
For the second question, the reverse needs to be done.

(Drawn length on map)/ (actual length) = scale factor = 1/10^7 ......................so

(actual length) of river Nile = 10^7 * (Drawn length on map) = 10^7 * 66.7 cm ............................. continue....

Reactions: tri