Reading and applying formulas intuitively?

Fja3

I'm some ten years into reading math extensively, however I've come to realize in areas such as physics (e. g. Galilean transformations or Lorenz transformations) that algebraic formulas, the majority of them which are not nth degree polynomial equations, feel to me like I'm trying to read hieroglyphs and not progressing. To compensate for my severely lacking abilities, I took multiple courses in calculus (both differential and integrals with the Riemann method), but all I'm doing here is copying the formulas of my teacher, and unless there's an idea how I can read and apply formulas more intuitively, I feel my time is better used studying lit/languages/music (all of which I love). By 'intuitively', I mean like that time when I didn't really understand the difference between "derivative" and "differential" before I was introduced to the concept of something being "locally euclidean", which is when it clicked to me. And there are concepts such as "continuous" and "uniformly continuous" which I understand intuitively. (Currently I'm musing about whether or not formulas can be accessed more intuitively by seeing the difference between bounded and free variables.) Any pointers?

Last edited: