Remainder Thm

SiJo

If p(x) = 1 + x + x^2 + x^3 + x^4 + x^5, what is the remainder when p(x^6) is divided by p(x)?

Tried verifying but the numbers got very large, long division seems long - am I missing insight that provides a short cut?

Remainer Thm

Tried verifying but the numbers got very large … am I missing insight
Hello. Were you trying to use the Remainder Theorem? Please show the beginnings of your attempt. Thanks!

[imath]\;[/imath]

am I missing insight that provides a short cut?
See the following page about the all one polynomial (click). Pay particular attention to the third definition (and write it out for the case when m=5)

EDIT: From that page
[math]AOP_m(x) =\sum_{i=0}^mx^i\\ =x^m+x^{m-1}+\cdots+x+1\\ =\dfrac{x^{m+1}-1}{x-1}[/math]

Last edited:
p(6x) = ( (6x)^6-1)/(x-1)

p(x) = (x^6-1)/(x-1)

So p(6x)/p(x) = ?

See the following page about the all one polynomial (click). Pay particular attention to the third definition (and write it out for the case when m=5)

EDIT: From that page
[math]AOP_m(x) =\sum_{i=0}^mx^i\\ =x^m+x^{m-1}+\cdots+x+1\\ =\dfrac{x^{m+1}-1}{x-1}[/math]
Hello. Were you trying to use the Remainder Theorem? Please show the beginnings of your attempt. Thanks!

[imath]\;[/imath]
x+1 is clearly a factor of p(x) but not p(x^6)
the notes from wikipedia cover dividing by a linear factor but this is a quintic so not sure how to apply

the notes from wikipedia cover dividing by a linear factor but this is a quintic so not sure how to apply
[math]\dfrac{y^{m+1}-1}{y-1} = y^m+y^{m-1}+\cdots+y+1[/math]Let y=x^6
[math]\dfrac{x^{6(m+1)}-1}{x^6-1}=x^{6m}+x^{6(m-1)}+\cdots+x^6+1[/math][math]x^{6(m+1)}-1 =(x^6-1) * (\text{a poly in x}) \,\text{ call this eqn AA}[/math]--
P(x^6) = x^30 + x^24 + x^18 + x^12 + x^6 + 1

Can you use AA to make the above look like...

P(x^6) = (x^6 - 1)*(some polynomial in x) + (something simple that can't be divided by x^6-1)

(You need to find the bold part of the above - but you can leave the "some polynomial in x" part as it is. You don't need to know that polynomial. ). Then continue to divide this by P(x)...

While the method proposed in post#7 definitely works, I'm concerned that there might be an easier way to solve this using the remainder theorem. The title of this thread kind of implies this is required. I can't (yet) see a way of doing that.

1+x+x^2 is clearly a factor of p(x) as well.

While the method proposed in post#7 definitely works, I'm concerned that there might be an easier way to solve this using the remainder theorem. The title of this thread kind of implies this is required. I can't (yet) see a way of doing that.
I've worked out how to answer this using something similar to the remainder theorem...

P(x^6) = P(x)*Q(x) + R(x)
P(x^6) = (x^6 - 1)/(x - 1)*Q(x) + R(x)
P(x^6)*(x - 1) = (x^6 - 1)*Q(x) + R(x)*(x - 1)
...can you see what to do now in order to find R(x), which could be a poly of maximum degree 4?

p(6x) = ( (6x)^6-1)/(x-1)

p(x) = (x^6-1)/(x-1)

So p(6x)/p(x) = ?
I've worked out how to answer this using something similar to the remainder theorem...

...can you see what to do now in order to find R(x), which could be a poly of maximum degree 4?
I think we must start here.

[math]p(x) = 1 + x + x^2 + x^3 + x^4 + x^5 \implies\\ p(x^6) = 1 + x^6 + x^{12} + x^{18} + x^{24} + x^{30}, \\ p(x) = \dfrac{x^6 - 1}{x - 1} \text { if } x \ne 1 \text { and } p(x) = 6 \text { if } x = 1, \text { and}\\ p(x^6)= \dfrac{x^{36} - 1}{x^6 - 1} \text { if } x \ne 1 \text { and } p(x^6) = 6 \text { if } x = 1. [/math]
Or have I missed the boat?

I think we must start here.
I can't see where this would lead, but you might be right. Please feel free to send me a private message and I'll do my best to verify your working (without giving the full answer to SiJo, who will learn more if they can complete most of this puzzle themselves). In fact, I'll aim to send you and Steven G a private message with my own full answer so that you can see where I'm trying to lead SiJo in post#11. Sorry, I'm a bit busy today so it might take a few hours before I get around to this.

[math]p(x) = 1 + x + x^2 + x^3 + x^4 + x^5 \implies\\ p(x) = \dfrac{x^6 - 1}{x - 1} \text { if } x \ne 1 \text { and } p(x) = 6 \text { if } x = 1, \text { and}\\ [/math]
Normally using the remainder theorem we'd plug x=1 into x^6 - 1 rather than into (x^6-1)/(x-1) and doing this would give a remainder of 0. We'd expect this because (x^6-1)/(x-1) divides exactly producing 1+x+x^2+x^3+x^4+x^5

I can't see where this would lead, but you might be right. Please feel free to send me a private message and I'll do my best to verify your working (without giving the full answer to SiJo, who will learn more if they can complete most of this puzzle themselves). In fact, I'll aim to send you and Steven G a private message with my own full answer so that you can see where I'm trying to lead SiJo in post#11. Sorry, I'm a bit busy today so it might take a few hours before I get around to this.

Normally using the remainder theorem we'd plug x=1 into x^6 - 1 rather than into (x^6-1)/(x-1) and doing this would give a remainder of 0. We'd expect this because (x^6-1)/(x-1) divides exactly producing 1+x+x^2+x^3+x^4+x^5
Yes. I thought I could get to a simplification my way. I was wrong.

keep getting in to a loop so no......

What 5 values of x make the red term zero, but leave the other two terms non-zero? This leads to a solvable set of 5 equations to find all the constants in...

R(x) = a + b*x + c*x^2 + d*x^3 + e*x^4

For example (these aren't the numbers you'll get with the question in this thread), we could find a,b,c,d and e if we knew the following...
P(1^6)=8=R(1), P(2^6)=8=R(2), R(3)=8, R(4)=8, R(5)=8
a + b*1 + c*1^2 + d*1^3 + e*1^4 = 8
a + b*2 + c*2^2 + d*2^3 + e*2^4 = 8
a + b*3 + c*3^2 + d*3^3 + e*3^4 = 8
a + b*4 + c*4^2 + d*4^3 + e*4^4 = 8
a + b*5 + c*5^2 + d*5^3 + e*5^4 = 8
...obviously a=8, b=c=d=e=0

Plug the 5 values of x into P(x^6), and note that x is raised to power 6, and thus find a,b,c,d & e