Row Echelon Form

Paul Heisenberg

Hello there,
I'm currently trying to solve this exercise, but I cannot grasp how that -3 and 2 (marked in yellow) are in the matrix. Why does the second row: 0, -4, (α-2), -4 and the third row 0, (3-α), 1, 1 not look like that?
Many thanks in advance
Paul
Capture.PNG

Since they are showing the solution I prefer to say that the -3 and 2 are correct and that the typos are in the original question. That is, instead of (2-a), they meant to write -3+a and instead of =1, they meant to write =2

Since they are showing the solution I prefer to say that the -3 and 2 are correct and that the typos are in the original question. That is, instead of (2-a), they meant to write -3+a and instead of =1, they meant to write =2
Why would you prefer to say that?

Simple. Now the student can try to follow the solution. My statement was just for the student's benefit. Remember, that they come first!

I also suspect that the typo is in the original problem statement.