Sentences to Quadratic Equations

Gernil Baro

1. If the difference of two numbers is 10 and the larger number is ?, what is the other number?
2. The perimeter of a square is ?, what is the length of a side?

None of these examples were similar in my lessons. I only have 3 examples given about this topic so that's why i'm stuck. Can someone give me an answer to these questions? If yes, can you give me extra source of this topic if you can. Thank you!

Last edited:
I only have 3 examples given about this topic
Hi Gernil. What is the topic? It seems like beginning algebra, but three examples is not enough to cover months' worth of classroom instruction.

We write the difference between x (the larger number) and some smaller number using subtraction.

Let y = smaller number

x - y = 10

That equation means: "The difference between x and y is ten."

To find an expression for the smaller number, solve the equation for y.

The four side lengths in any square are equal. Here's a definition for a square: A rectangle whose sides are equal.

Let x = side length

Then, the perimeter is

p = x + x + x + x

Can you first simplify the right-hand side and then solve for x?

Please share your efforts.

?

1. If the difference of two numbers is 10 and the larger number is ?, what is the other number?
2. The perimeter of a square is ?, what is the length of a side?

None of these examples were similar in my lessons. I only have 3 examples given about this topic so that's why i'm stuck. Can someone give me an answer to these questions? If yes, can you give me extra source of this topic if you can. Thank you!
I'm going to change the questions a little. Can you answer these:

1. If the difference of two numbers is 10 and the larger number is 16, what is the other number?
Think about what you did to the larger number to get the smaller number. Then what would you have to do if x was the larger number?

2. The perimeter of a square is 20cm, what is the length of the side?
What did you have to do to the perimeter to get the length of the side. So what would you do if the perimeter is p?

Hi Gernil. What is the topic?
What I mean is solving problems involving quadratic equations. And also y letter was not in the lesson, only 1 letter.

I can give you the module I have here (I'm sorry if it's different from you):

Attachments

• Math IIB_Lesson 2.3.pdf
    175.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
What I mean is solving problems involving quadratic equations. And also y letter was not in the lesson, only 1 letter.

I can give you the module I have here (I'm sorry if it's different from you):
Looking at the module you sent, the questions you posted above are prerequisite knowledge involving writing sentences using mathematical notation and basic algebra. They don't involve quadratic equations at this point, but are leading up to that.

Did you see my post #3?

22-12=10 so what's the small number?
12=22-10

15-5=10 so what's the small number?
5=15-10

11-1=10 so 1=11-10

x-y=10 so y=x-10

big-small=10 so small=big-10

You ought to review beginning algebra before studying quadratics.

?

Looking at the module you sent, the questions you posted above are prerequisite knowledge involving writing sentences using mathematical notation and basic algebra. They don't involve quadratic equations at this point, but are leading up to that.

Did you see my post #3?
I double check the question you made in 1 question and makes sense now. I came up with the solution before and the answer was x = 5 but I thought it was wrong, thinking the x in the question was suppose to be an answer and backspaced it. I guess the 'other number' was meant to be the 'smaller number' of 10.

I still have not answered question 2# yet since I was stuck in question 1#. Anyways thanks

22-12=10 so what's the small number?
12=22-10

15-5=10 so what's the small number?
5=15-10

11-1=10 so 1=11-10

x-y=10 so y=x-10

big-small=10 so small=big-10

You ought to review beginning algebra before studying quadratics.

?
I guess it makes sense too

1. If the difference of two numbers is 10 and the larger number is 16, what is the other number?
Think about what you did to the larger number to get the smaller number. Then what would you have to do if x was the larger number?

What did you have to do to the perimeter to get the length of the side. So what would you do if the perimeter is p?
1. In MY question, the other number is 6. To get 6 you worked out 16 - 10 = 6. Right?
But the larger number in YOUR question is x, so the other number is x - 10.
I think you are expecting a numerical answer. No! Your "answer" is an expression involving x.
2. If the perimeter of a square is 20cm, you'd divide by 4 to get 5cm as the side. Wouldn't you?
So if the perimeter is p, you'd still divide by 4 to get the side length. So the side length must be p/4. Again your answer is an expression, this time involving p.

I guess it makes sense
Don't guess. Learn beginning algebra.

When we add or subtract numbers, we get a result. Each of the numbers involved may be expressed in terms of the remaining numbers. With practice, you can do that in your head.

A + B = C

To express A, we subtract B from each side. To express B, we subtract A from each side.

A = C - B

B = C - A

A - B = C

To express A, we add B to each side. To express B, we multiply each side by -1 (i.e., we change all signs) and then add A to each side.

A = B + C

B = A - C

?

HTC, it is not If the difference of two numbers is 10 and the larger number is 16, what is the other number?, rather it should be If the difference of two numbers is 10 and the larger number is 16, how do you compute the other number?

The smaller number is not 10.

10 is the difference between the big and small numbers.

Did you answer question #1?

?
What I meant that 5 is the small number of 10 as the other number. I'm already done with my assignment yesterday, well thanks to you. So this case is already solved

What I meant that 5 is the small number of 10 as the other number. I'm already done with my assignment yesterday, well thanks to you. So this case is already solved
Is it though? Where does 5 come into it? What were your answers that you submitted?

Gernil Baro, you were having these sentences converted to linear equations.

I think your thread should have been titled "Sentences to Linear Equations."