Sequence induction proof: u_0 = 3, u_n = (u_{n-1} + 2n^2 - 2)/(n^2) for N*

Qwertyuiop[]

A sequence is defined by [imath]u_0 = 3[/imath] and [imath]u_n=\frac{u_{n-1}+2n^2-2}{n^2}[/imath] for N*.
The question is show by induction that for [imath]n \in N, u_n \ge 2.[/imath]. I want to show you my working, i just want to know if it's correct and i didn't make any mistakes in the induction.

Base case: [imath]u_0 = 3[/imath] and [imath]u_0 \ge 2[/imath] so holds for [imath]u_0[/imath].

Inductive hyp: Assuming [imath]u_k \ge 2[/imath], we have to prove that [imath]u_{k+1}\:\ge \:2[/imath].
[imath]u_{k+1}\:is\:given\:by\:u_{k+1}=\:\frac{u_k+2\left(k+1\right)^2-2}{\left(k+1\right)^2}[/imath].

making [imath]u_k[/imath] the subject we get : [imath]u_k\:=\:\left(u_{k+1}\right)\left(k+1\right)^2-2\left(k+1\right)^2+2[/imath] and using the assumption [imath]u_k \ge 2[/imath] ; [imath]\left(u_{k+1}\right)\left(k+1\right)^2-2\left(k+1\right)^2+2 \ge 2 \\ \left(u_{k+1}\right)\left(k+1\right)^2-2\left(k+1\right)^2 \ge 0 \\ \left(k+1\right)^2\:\left(u_{k+1}\:-2\right)\:\ge 0[/imath] . Dividing by [imath]\left(k+1\right)^2[/imath] because it's positive so the sign of inequality is conserved and because we have n >1 we are not dividing by zero.

so [imath]u_{k+1}\ge 2[/imath]

if it's true for [imath]u_{k+1}[/imath] then it must be true [imath]\forall n \in N[/imath].

Don't see any problems with you proof.
There is just one thing bugging me, the function is defined for N* , we are excluding 0 meaning [imath]n \ge 1[/imath] but they want us to prove for [imath]n \in N[/imath] which would include 0. Was it a typo?

There is just one thing bugging me, the function is defined for N* , we are excluding 0 meaning [imath]n \ge 1[/imath] but they want us to prove for [imath]n \in N[/imath] which would include 0. Was it a typo?
First, please confirm the definitions of N and N* as you are using them; the terminology and notation can vary. I understand you to be saying that N is the non-negative integers, and N* is the positive integers. Is that correct?

The definition of the function (i.e. sequence) says that the recursion is defined for positive n, which is appropriate, since it doesn't apply to n=0:
A sequence is defined by [imath]u_0 = 3[/imath] and [imath]u_n=\frac{u_{n-1}+2n^2-2}{n^2}[/imath] for N*.
The question is show by induction that for [imath]n \in N, u_n \ge 2.[/imath]. I want to show you my working, i just want to know if it's correct and i didn't make any mistakes in the induction.
(Of course, you meant to say "... for n∈N*. I presume that's your own typo.)

That doesn't mean the sequence is only defined for n∈N*. The initial value together with the recursion covers all non-negative integers n.

They want you to prove that for [imath]n \in N, u_n \ge 2[/imath]; they are including n=0 because the sequence is defined for all non-negative integers.

First, please confirm the definitions of N and N* as you are using them; the terminology and notation can vary. I understand you to be saying that N is the non-negative integers, and N* is the positive integers. Is that correct?

The definition of the function (i.e. sequence) says that the recursion is defined for positive n, which is appropriate, since it doesn't apply to n=0:

That doesn't mean the sequence is only defined for n∈N*. The initial value together with the recursion covers all non-negative integers n.

They want you to prove that for [imath]n \in N, u_n \ge 2[/imath]; they are including n=0 because the sequence is defined for all non-negative integers.
yes, by N i mean N= [imath][0, \infty)[/imath] and N* = [imath][1, \infty)[/imath].

yes, by N i mean N= [imath][0, \infty)[/imath] and N* = [imath][1, \infty)[/imath].
Well, no, that is not what you mean. Those intervals are sets of real numbers, not just integers.

If you want to use notation, you must use it correctly.

There is a second part to this question which is to show that the sequence is decreasing. If it's decreasing then [imath]u_{n+1}\:\le u_n[/imath] so [imath]u_{n+1}\:-u_n\:\le 0[/imath]. But i get a massive expression, is there another way to show that a sequence is decreasing/increasing?

There is a second part to this question which is to show that the sequence is decreasing. If it's decreasing then [imath]u_{n+1}\:\le u_n[/imath] so [imath]u_{n+1}\:-u_n\:\le 0[/imath]. But i get a massive expression, is there another way to show that a sequence is decreasing/increasing?
It is decreasing for [imath]n\geq 2[/imath]. Try showing that [imath]u_{n-1} - u_n[/imath] is positive.

It is decreasing for [imath]n\geq 2[/imath]. Try showing that [imath]u_{n-1} - u_n[/imath] is positive.
Well, that's the problem, i get this very big expression so i was wondering if there is an easier way to prove that a sequence is increasing/decreasing. I got stuck at the end. [math]u_{n+1}-u_n \\ \frac{u_n+2\left(n+1\right)^2-2}{\left(n+1\right)^2}-\frac{u_{n-1}+2n^2-2}{n^2}\\ \frac{u_n+2n^2+4n}{\left(n+1\right)^2}-\frac{u_{n-1}+2n^2-2}{n^2}\\ \frac{n^2}{n^2}\cdot \frac{u_n+2n^2+4n}{\left(n+1\right)^2}-\frac{u_{n-1}+2n^2-2}{n^2}\cdot \frac{\left(n+1\right)^2}{\left(n+1\right)^2}\\ \frac{n^2\left(u_n+2n^2+4n\right)-\left(n+1\right)^2\left(u_{n-1}+2n^2-2\right)}{n^2\left(n+1\right)^2}[/math]

Well, that's the problem, i get this very big expression so i was wondering if there is an easier way to prove that a sequence is increasing/decreasing. I got stuck at the end. [math]u_{n+1}-u_n \\ \frac{u_n+2\left(n+1\right)^2-2}{\left(n+1\right)^2}-\frac{u_{n-1}+2n^2-2}{n^2}\\ \frac{u_n+2n^2+4n}{\left(n+1\right)^2}-\frac{u_{n-1}+2n^2-2}{n^2}\\ \frac{n^2}{n^2}\cdot \frac{u_n+2n^2+4n}{\left(n+1\right)^2}-\frac{u_{n-1}+2n^2-2}{n^2}\cdot \frac{\left(n+1\right)^2}{\left(n+1\right)^2}\\ \frac{n^2\left(u_n+2n^2+4n\right)-\left(n+1\right)^2\left(u_{n-1}+2n^2-2\right)}{n^2\left(n+1\right)^2}[/math]
Don't bring [imath]u_{n-1}[/imath] into it! Leave everything in terms of [imath]u_n[/imath].

Don't bring [imath]u_{n-1}[/imath] into it! Leave everything in terms of [imath]u_n[/imath].
So just use this equation [imath]u_{n+1}=\frac{u_n+2\left(n+1\right)^2-2}{\left(n+1\right)^2}[/imath] and rearrange to get the sign of [imath]u_{n+1}-u_n[/imath] ?

So just use this equation [imath]u_{n+1}=\frac{u_n+2\left(n+1\right)^2-2}{\left(n+1\right)^2}[/imath] and rearrange to get the sign of [imath]u_{n+1}-u_n[/imath] ?
It might not be a good idea to ask guidance for every step along the way. You deserve more self-confidence than that: just try the latest suggestion and see where you get. But if you don't succeed we are here to help again.

Rather than help you further with the current problem, I'd like to show an alternative approach to the original question in this thread.

Base case: [imath]u_0 = 3[/imath] and [imath]u_0 \ge 2[/imath] so holds for [imath]u_0[/imath].

Inductive hyp: Assuming [imath]u_k \ge 2[/imath], we have to prove that [imath]u_{k+1}\:\ge \:2[/imath].
[imath]u_{k+1}\:is\:given\:by\:u_{k+1}=\:\frac{u_k+2\left(k+1\right)^2-2}{\left(k+1\right)^2}[/imath].

making [imath]u_k[/imath] the subject we get : [imath]u_k\:=\:\left(u_{k+1}\right)\left(k+1\right)^2-2\left(k+1\right)^2+2[/imath] and using the assumption [imath]u_k \ge 2[/imath] ; [imath]\left(u_{k+1}\right)\left(k+1\right)^2-2\left(k+1\right)^2+2 \ge 2 \\ \left(u_{k+1}\right)\left(k+1\right)^2-2\left(k+1\right)^2 \ge 0 \\ \left(k+1\right)^2\:\left(u_{k+1}\:-2\right)\:\ge 0[/imath] . Dividing by [imath]\left(k+1\right)^2[/imath] because it's positive so the sign of inequality is conserved and because we have n >1 we are not dividing by zero.

so [imath]u_{k+1}\ge 2[/imath]

if it's true for [imath]u_{k+1}[/imath] then it must be true [imath]\forall n \in N[/imath].
Base case: [imath]u_0 =3\ge 2[/imath].

Inductive hypothesis: [imath]u_k \ge 2[/imath].
We want to prove that [imath]u_{k+1}\:\ge \:2[/imath].

But [imath]u_{k+1}=\dfrac{u_k+2\left(k+1\right)^2-2}{\left(k+1\right)^2}=\dfrac{u_k-2}{\left(k+1\right)^2}+2\dfrac{\left(k+1\right)^2}{\left(k+1\right)^2}=\dfrac{u_k-2}{\left(k+1\right)^2}+2\ge 2[/imath] because [imath]u_k-2\ge0[/imath].

You can use a similar style for the current work, if you wish. I prefer this style, in part because yours looks too much like solving an inequality, and it is easy to get the implications in the wrong direction.

I showed the working for the first question to my teacher and he said that i should use the assumption [imath]u_n\ge 2[/imath] in the equation [imath]u_{n+1}=\frac{u_n+2\left(n+1\right)^2-2}{\left(n+1\right)^2}[/imath], because [imath]u_n\ge 2[/imath], he said if you substitute 2 for [imath]u_n[/imath] it becomes [imath]u_{n+1}\ge \frac{2-2\left(n+1\right)^2-2}{\left(n+1\right)^2}[/imath](equality becomes an inequality). The 2's cancel and we are left with [imath]u_{n+1}\ge \frac{2\left(n+1\right)^2}{\left(n+1\right)^2}[/imath] which simplifies to [imath]u_{n+1}\ge 2[/imath]. He said when we replace [imath]u_n[/imath] with 2 the equality sign changes to an inequality. I didn't know you could do that in maths. My question is : Can you do that and what is the inequality sign we get after substitution, like it's a greater than or less than inequality.

I showed the working for the first question to my teacher and he said that i should use the assumption [imath]u_n\ge 2[/imath] in the equation [imath]u_{n+1}=\frac{u_n+2\left(n+1\right)^2-2}{\left(n+1\right)^2}[/imath], because [imath]u_n\ge 2[/imath], he said if you substitute 2 for [imath]u_n[/imath] it becomes [imath]u_{n+1}\ge \frac{2-2\left(n+1\right)^2-2}{\left(n+1\right)^2}[/imath](equality becomes an inequality). The 2's cancel and we are left with [imath]u_{n+1}\ge \frac{2\left(n+1\right)^2}{\left(n+1\right)^2}[/imath] which simplifies to [imath]u_{n+1}\ge 2[/imath]. He said when we replace [imath]u_n[/imath] with 2 the equality sign changes to an inequality. I didn't know you could do that in maths. My question is : Can you do that and what is the inequality sign we get after substitution, like it's a greater than or less than inequality.
That's essentially equivalent to what I did; I just did more processing before using the inequality.

Ultimately, you are using properties of inequality like [math]a>b\implies a+c > b+c[/math] and [math]\text{If }c>0\text{, then }a>b\implies ac > bc,[/math] each of which applies to any of the four inequalities, [imath]>,\ge,<,\le[/imath].

I'd rather not express it in terms of "substitution", because that depends on specific features of the expression into which you are substituting (such as not multiplying by a negative number).

I might say [math]u_{n+1}=\frac{u_n+2\left(n+1\right)^2-2}{\left(n+1\right)^2}\ge=\frac{2+2\left(n+1\right)^2-2}{\left(n+1\right)^2}=\dots[/math]