Sigma Problem: If sum{m=1,5} (x-3m) = sum{m=1,8} (x-3m), prove sum{r=1,13} (x-3m) = 0

urimagic

Hi all,

I am not sure but I believe Sigma Notation sums fall under the category of Calculus. I hope I'm right...
I am new on this forum, this being my second post. I have learnt a great deal already here, thanks to BigBeachBanana and a few other members. I have another Sigma problem which I have started doing using the knowledge I gained from this site, however, I'm not sure if I'm on the right track. Please go through my work and just advise if and where I'm wrong, with maybe a small hint on what to do....Thank you all kindly...IMG20230327133131[1].jpg

Ignoring your arithmetic mistake with '72' you failed to prove the conjecture. Just continue.

On your first line, the last summation goes from r=1 to 13. Where did the r come from? Also, that line that has the n(n+1)/2 should not be there as you don't have any n's in your problem. If you feel that you must include that line, then please state the value(s) for those n.

All in all, your work is fine. Just fix that small arithmetic error AND confirm that the then part of the theorem is true.

Ignoring your arithmetic mistake with '72' you failed to prove the conjecture. Just continue.

On your first line, the last summation goes from r=1 to 13. Where did the r come from? Also, that line that has the n(n+1)/2 should not be there as you don't have any n's in your problem. If you feel that you must include that line, then please state the value(s) for those n.

All in all, your work is fine. Just fix that small arithmetic error AND confirm that the then part of the theorem is true.
Hi Steven G,

Not sure if that's a typo on the actual paper, but it says r=1. Uhm, the line just after the n(n+1)/2, is followed by the values for the "n", which is 5 and 8 respectively to the two sides...Yes I'm working towards the THEN part, but was just wondering if I was on the right track here before commencing...thank you for your input...appreciated..

I'VE GOT IT!!!!...YEEEAAAAHHHHH!!!!:D
Thank you limiTS and Steven G....this so much fun! Oh, I changed the r=1 to m=1, maybe that was a typo on the actual paperIMG20230328122506[1].jpg