Simple multi-part probability event: For a fly ball, assuming they were the only fielder, the left fielder havs a 50% chance of making the catch....

daratmp

Hello I just have a quick probability question

For a fly ball, assuming they were the only fielder, the left fielder havs a 50% chance of making the catch, the center fielder a 25% chance, and the shortstop a 15% chance. Altogether, what is the probability that one of them catches it?

This problem confuses me. When you say that the left fielder has a 50% chance of making the catch does that mean that 50% of the fly balls are hit in reach of the left fielder? What if the left fielder was not so good and only caught 25% of the balls hit to him/her?
Or our you are saying that if a ball is hit to the left fielder that the left fielder would catch 50% of the balls hit to him/her?

Suppose the left fielder caught 100% of the fly balls to the left field. Further suppose that 50% of the fly balls hit to the center field or to the short stop will be caught.
Now if fly balls are only hit to the left fielder, then 100% of the balls would be caught. If fly balls were only hit to the short stop or center fielder, then 50% of fly balls would be caught. If fly balls were hit to all players, then the probability that the ball will be caught would be between 50% and 100%.

What if a ball was hit so that two or three players can catch the ball?

Hello I just have a quick probability question

For a fly ball, assuming they were the only fielder, the left fielder havs a 50% chance of making the catch, the center fielder a 25% chance, and the shortstop a 15% chance. Altogether, what is the probability that one of them catches it?
Your title says multi-part. Can we see the multiple parts?

Since at most one player can catch the ball
A disclaimer: after living most of my life in the US I am still quite ignorant of baseball rules -- my sincere apologies to the fans :). Please let me know if my assumptions are not right. Thanks.

A disclaimer: after living most of my life in the US I am still quite ignorant of baseball rules -- my sincere apologies to the fans :). Please let me know if my assumptions are not right. Thanks.
The fly-ball rules in Baseball are almost the same as those are in Cricket......:D:D:D